Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    #1

    Question on a statement (5)

    Hi teachers,

    According to this statement, 'He could hear nothing. No dogs, no lights, no noises.'
    Which question is correct?
    a) Could he hear or see anything?
    b) Could he hear or see something?

    Thanks in advance

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #2

    Re: Question on a statement (5)

    How about "What could he hear?"
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #3

    Re: Question on a statement (5)

    This is practically the same as your 'Question on a Statement (3). Please be content with one thread for each question.
    Last edited by 5jj; 12-Feb-2012 at 19:20.

  4. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    #4

    To 5jj

    Hi 5jj,
    'This is practically the same as your 'Question on a Statement (3). Please be content with one thread for each question.'

    Well, not really.
    This one was a wh-question or information question
    What could he neither see nor hear?
    And this one is a yes/no question
    According to this statement, 'He could hear nothing. No dogs, no lights, no noises.'
    Which question is correct?
    a) Could he hear or see anything?
    b) Could he hear or see something?

    Besides it, my question is on the indefinite pronoun 'anything' and 'something'.
    Quite a different one if you compare them. Don't you think so?
    I always try to be content with my questions. Did I ever do such a thing?

    Learning54

  5. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,925
    #5

    Re: To 5jj

    Quote Originally Posted by learning54 View Post
    Hi 5jj,
    'This is practically the same as your 'Question on a Statement (3). Please be content with one thread for each question.'

    Well, not really.
    This one was a wh-question or information question
    What could he neither see nor hear?
    And this one is a yes/no question
    According to this statement, 'He could hear nothing. No dogs, no lights, no noises.'
    Which question is correct?
    a) Could he hear or see anything?
    b) Could he hear or see something?

    Besides it, my question is on the indefinite pronoun 'anything' and 'something'.
    Quite a different one if you compare them. Don't you think so?
    I always try to be content with my questions. Did I ever do such a thing?

    Learning54
    Excuse me for butting in before 5jj has had a chance to respond, but I think I can see the point of the comment. Your new question, regarding "anything/something" does need to be in a separate thread.

    Your question about "He could neither see nor hear ..." was answered, I believe to your satisfaction.

    Once that has happened, if you have further questions, even if they're based on the same statement, then it's better to open a new thread. That avoids the possibility of people scrolling down through the first few responses on the original thread, thinking that it's all done and finished with and then clicking away from it, thereby missing your follow-up questions.

    Does that make sense?

  6. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    #6

    Re: To 5jj

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Excuse me for butting in before 5jj has had a chance to respond, but I think I can see the point of the comment. Your new question, regarding "anything/something" does need to be in a separate thread.

    Does that make sense?
    Absolutely.


    Your question about "He could neither see nor hear ..." was answered, I believe to your satisfaction. Yes it was!

    Once that has happened, if you have further questions, even if they're based on the same statement, then it's better to open a new thread. That avoids the possibility of people scrolling down through the first few responses on the original thread, thinking that it's all done and finished with and then clicking away from it, thereby missing your follow-up questions.

  7. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #7

    Re: Question on a statement (5)

    It seems to me that L54 is trying, in this series of threads to find questions that will elicit specific answers. That being so, asking about different question-forms in different threads could lead to confusion and/or relevant answers to one question going unread because they are in the other thread.

    If the question L54 wishes to ask is about the grammatical correctness of a particular form of question, that that can go in a separate thread - with an appropriate title, such as 'Could he hear anything/something?'. As this particular thread was the fifth in this series, I assumed that L54 was simply trying to find an appropriate question. It seems, from her response, that Barb thought the same. If the focus is now on the grammar, then that needs to be made clear.

  8. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    #8

    Re: Question on a statement (5)

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    It seems to me that L54 is trying, in this series of threads to find questions that will elicit specific answers. That being so, asking about different question-forms in different threads could lead to confusion and/or relevant answers to one question going unread because they are in the other thread.

    If the question L54 wishes to ask is about the grammatical correctness of a particular form of question, that that can go in a separate thread - with an appropriate title, such as 'Could he hear anything/something?'. As this particular thread was the fifth in this series, I assumed that L54 was simply trying to find an appropriate question. It seems, from her response, that Barb thought the same. If the focus is now on the grammar, then that needs to be made clear.
    Hi 5jj,
    I always learn, the most from my mistakes. Just give me the time and the space to do it.

  9. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #9

    Re: Question on a statement (5)

    @ L54. The mistake was partly mine in that I misunderstood the point of this thread. I have now shown one way in which such misunderstanding can be avoided.

  10. learning54's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 1,125
    #10

    Re: Question on a statement (5)

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    @ L54. The mistake was partly mine in that I misunderstood the point of this thread. I have now shown one way in which such misunderstanding can be avoided.
    Hi 5jj,
    Thank you so much. Sure you have! Explanations are the very best way to feel comfortable.

    Best,
    L54

Similar Threads

  1. Question on a statement (4)
    By learning54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-Feb-2012, 19:37
  2. Question on a statement (3)
    By learning54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Feb-2012, 13:32
  3. a statement in the form of a question?
    By atabitaraf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 16-Aug-2011, 12:09
  4. [Grammar] question on generic statement
    By snoopya1984 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Oct-2010, 18:10
  5. Question or statement(Punctuation)
    By kamlesh1joshi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Apr-2008, 12:07

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •