Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Austria
Current Location
Anguilla
Hello people
i have question, i address a letter to HR department asking employees because some employees left the company, so i wrote the letter as following

to : HR

Dear
The following employees left the maintenance department of the company, so I want replacement employees to fill the vacant place on the department.
So, Kindly arrange that .
Best regards

i used the simple past to refer that those employees left the company 3 days ago or more and they are not exist currently

my question is it right for using past tense or should i say

"the following employees have been left the maintenance department of the company " ?
best regards

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
As far as the tense, it should read "have left". You want to convey the current state of affairs.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello [STRIKE]people[/STRIKE] everyone
I have a question. I [STRIKE]address[/STRIKE] wrote a letter to the HR department asking for new employees because some employees had left the company. [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] I wrote the letter as follows[STRIKE]ing [/STRIKE]

T
o : HR

[STRIKE]Dear[/STRIKE]
The following employees have left the maintenance department of the company:

[List of names of the employees who have left]

[STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]want[/STRIKE] need replacement employees to fill the [STRIKE]vacant place[/STRIKE] vacancies [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] in the department.

[STRIKE]So, Kindly arrange that .[/STRIKE] Please make the necessary arrangements.
[STRIKE]Best regards
[/STRIKE] Thank you.

I used the simple past to refer [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] to those employees who left the company 3 days ago or more [STRIKE]and they are not exist currently
[/STRIKE]
My question is "Is it right [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to [STRIKE]using[/STRIKE] use the past tense?" or should I say "The following employees have [STRIKE]been[/STRIKE] left the maintenance department of the company"?

[STRIKE]best regards[/STRIKE] Thank you.

I have made various amendments to your post and to your draft letter. Please remember to capitalise the word "I" (first person singular) and be careful with other capitalisation and punctuation.

You need to say "The following employees have left the company ..." It doesn't matter how long ago they left.

I removed "Dear" and "Best regards" because the start of your piece looks more like a memo than a letter.

andro2012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Austria
Current Location
Anguilla
Emsr2d2 Thank you for your reply and your advice I know my English still are not good, but i am trying to get better I have another question 1- If i say "The following employees have left the maintenance department of the company" as you said "It doesn't matter how long ago they left.", but if I use the simple past tense in replace with the present perfect tense, then I should mention the time they have left the company. 2- "I wrote a letter to the HR department asking for new employees because some employees had left the company" why did you use the past perfect tense and you did not use the present perfect tense ? 3- What is the difference if I say " I want" and "I need" 4- Why did you delete "So" 5- The words"Best regard ", "sincerely yours", and so on, are should not using in the last of memo or draft? 6- Is the sentence "and they are not exist currently" wrong or no need to mention it? 7- "It doesn't matter how long ago they left" If i say "It doesn't matter how long ago they have left". Is there any difference? Really, i want to learn how to write draft or memo in good English grammar. But if I compose a letter or memo I will post it here to check if is it right English or not, and bee patience with me. Thank you

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Emsr2d2 Thank you for your reply and your advice. I know my English is still [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] not good, but I am trying to get better. I have more questions.

1- If I say "The following employees have left the maintenance department of the company" as you said "It doesn't matter how long ago they left.", but if I use the simple past tense [STRIKE]in replace with[/STRIKE] instead of the present perfect tense, then I should mention [STRIKE]the time[/STRIKE] how long ago they [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] left the company.

Yes. They have left the company OR They left the company three days ago.

2- "I wrote a letter to the HR department asking for new employees because some employees had left the company." Why did you use the past perfect tense and [STRIKE]you did[/STRIKE] not [STRIKE]use[/STRIKE] the present perfect tense?

I could have used the present perfect, but "I wrote a letter because some employees had left" is the natural construction. To use the past perfect, I could have said "I have written a letter because some employees have left".

3- What is the difference [STRIKE]if I say[/STRIKE] between "I want" and "I need"?

"I want" can sound rather rude and demanding. If you say "I need", you show that it is a necessity and you need their help.

4- Why did you delete "So"?

There are certain circumstances in which starting a sentence with "So" is appropriate, but in this sort of memo or letter, it just isn't appropriate.

5- The words "Best regards", "Sincerely yours", and so on, [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] should not [STRIKE]using[/STRIKE] be used at the end of a memo or draft?

Endings like that are fine in a proper formal letter, which would start "Dear Sir/Madam" or "Dear Mr Smith" etc, but your message started "From: Maintenance Dept, To: HR Dept". That's not the start of a formal letter so it doesn't need a formal letter ending.

6- Is the sentence "and they are not exist currently" wrong or is there no need to mention it?

It's wrong grammatically anyway, it would be "and they do not currently exist". However, if you say that those employees no longer exist, it doesn't mean that they no longer work there, it means they are dead!

7- "It doesn't matter how long ago they left" If I say "It doesn't matter how long ago they have left". Is there any difference?

We just use the simple past there. "I don't know when they left", "I can't tell you when they left" etc. In the interrogative, it would be "Do you know when they left?" not "Do you know when they have left?"

Really, I want to learn how to write drafts or memos in good English grammar. But if I compose a letter or memo I will post it here to check if [STRIKE]is it right English[/STRIKE] it is correct or not, and please [STRIKE]bee[/STRIKE] be [STRIKE]patience[/STRIKE] patient with me. Thank you.

See above.

Please look at the amendments (in red) as well as my responses (in blue).

There were still several times where you did not capitalise the word "I". Please try to get that right every time. You also need to remember to put full stops at the end of sentences.

Please also put a paragraph break (return) more often. A large block of text is difficult to read. You should have listed your questions with each question on a new line.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.