Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
My teacher says a barking dog means "a dog which often barks",and not "a dog which is barking now.". So you can't say "a barking dog" as "a dog which is barking now." And in that context("a dog which is barking now"), you should put the present participle after a noun like (1b).

Example: A barking dog seldom bites.
(1a)*That barking dog is Jim's(Wrong)
(1b)That dog barking furiously is Jim's(Correct)

But I think the next sentence is possible.
"The barking dog chased the thief."
In this case in my opinion it means "the dog which was barking chased the thief."
Just maybe it would be the difference between "a barking dog" and "the barking dog".
For example,
she was a healthy young woman who resented being robbed of her sleep, and she yawned quite openly as she looked at Mary,... 'I will put him to sleep', Mary said to the yawning nurse, 'You can go to sleep if you like.' [現在英文法講義 p.233]
If that the nurse is yawning becomes evident from the situation or the preceding context, "the -ing noun"is possible.
In certain circumstances like this, "the running man(in the meaning of the man who is running)" and "the sleeping baby(in the meaning of the baby who is sleeping)"and etc. are possible.

Is my teacher correct?
Is my point of view correct?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My teacher says a barking dog means "a dog which often barks",and not "a dog which is barking now." So you can't say "a barking dog" as "a dog which is barking now." Yes, you can.

Example: A barking dog seldom bites. I'd take that to mean that a dog that is barking seldom bites.
(1a)*That barking dog is Jim'sspace(Wrong) If it's barking now, it's possible.
(1b)That dog barking furiously is Jim'sspace(Correct) Yes

"The barking dog chased the thief." Yes
In this case in my opinion it means "the dog which was barking chased the thief."
Just maybe it would be the difference between "a barking dog" and "the barking dog". No
For example,

she was a healthy young woman who resented being robbed of her sleep, and she yawned quite openly as she looked at Mary,... 'I will put him to sleep', Mary said to the yawning nurse, 'You can go to sleep if you like.' That is fine [現在英文法講義 p.233]

In certain circumstances like this, "the running manspace(in the meaning of the man who iswas running)" and "the sleeping babyspace(in the meaning of the baby who is/was sleeping)"and etc. are possible. They are possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.