Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi teachers and gurus

I heard some natives pronuncing "Good Morning" in two different ways

1) Good Morning [stress MOR]
2) Good Morning [stress GOOD and MING]

Why is there such a difference in stress placement. Any different meanings between 1) and 2)?

Please advise

Anthony the learner

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi teachers and gurus

I heard some natives pronuncing "Good Morning" in two different ways

1) Good Morning [stress MOR]
2) Good Morning [stress GOOD and MING]

Why is there such a difference in stress placement. Any different meanings between 1) and 2)?

Please advise

Anthony the learner
"Good morning." would be extremely rare. No one says 'morning'
"Good Morning" and "Good morning" are normal, and you might hear, "Good mor.ning"

There are differences in stress because people are in different moods in the morning; it's a greeting, and there will be intonations that are personalised, sometimes singsong or expressive in other ways. (But I've never heard 'morning'.)

yangmuye

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Macau
Hi, which of the following three ways is more common? The pitches of the stressed syllables are different.
Thanks.

ˈgʊ́d.ˈmɔ́˞.nɪŋ
ˌgʊ̀d.ˈmɔ́˞.nɪŋ
ˈgʊ́d.ˈmɔ̀˞.nɪŋ

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi, which of the following three ways is more common? The pitches of the stressed syllables are different.
Thanks.

ˈgʊ́d.ˈmɔ́˞.nɪŋ
ˌgʊ̀d.ˈmɔ́˞.nɪŋ
ˈgʊ́d.ˈmɔ̀˞.nɪŋ
I don't know the system you're using - eg. the difference between /ʊ́/ and /ʊ̀/. Also if the ɔ́˞ is a rhotic 'or', none of these would be common in non-rhotic places.
My advice would be to search for sound files. There's no mandated way of saying 'Good morning'.

yangmuye

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Macau
I don't know the system you're using - eg. the difference between /ʊ́/ and /ʊ̀/. Also if the ɔ́˞ is a rhotic 'or', none of these would be common in non-rhotic places.
My advice would be to search for sound files. There's no mandated way of saying 'Good morning'.
I mean, do you pronounce “Good morning” with “mor” a littler higher than “ning” in pitch or lower?
I think the former one is the typical way.

If the “MOR” is lower than “Good” and “ning” (but still being stressed), it's probable that a Chinese speaker might perceive the stress incorrectly.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I mean, do you pronounce “Good morning” with “mor” a littler higher than “ning” in pitch or lower?
No, not necessarily. As I say, there are numerous intonations you can use. I doubt there is one typical way. One common way is to say 'Good' (high tone) 'Morning' (both syllables lower, each at same tone).

I think the former one is the typical way.

If the “MOR” is lower than “Good” and “ning” (but still being stressed), it's probable that a Chinese speaker might perceive the stress incorrectly.
That's possible.

patran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi Raymott

In the following video, the First Certificate in English speaking examiner, when he starts with "Good morning", GOOD is short and higher pitch, while MING is longer and higher pitch. MOR is lower, so it sounds "GOOD morNING". That's the case I am referring, how is it different from "good MOR ning"

FCE Part 1 - YouTube

Please advise
Anthony

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi Raymott

In the following video, the First Certificate in English speaking examiner, when he starts with "Good morning", GOOD is short and higher pitch, while MING is longer and higher pitch. MOR is lower, so it sounds "GOOD morNING".
That's true if Capital letters represent higher pitch/tone.

That's the case I am referring, how is it different from "good MOR ning"

FCE Part 1 - YouTube

Please advise
Anthony
Yes, I can see what you mean. But tone is not stress. The stress is where the accent is.
'Ning" is defintely higher in tone, but that's nothing to do with stress. I would say that he stresses all three syllables which, as I said, is one possible way of saying it.

The girl replies "morning" The stress is on "morn", but the tone of "ing" is the same. The other guy just mumbles.

yangmuye

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Macau
Hi Raymott

In the following video, the First Certificate in English speaking examiner, when he starts with "Good morning", GOOD is short and higher pitch, while MING is longer and higher pitch. MOR is lower, so it sounds "GOOD morNING". That's the case I am referring, how is it different from "good MOR ning"

Please advise
Anthony
I think a syllable is (lexically) stressed if
* it contains a non-reduced vowel
* the vowel is enunciated longer( and usually louder)

The pitch is not the most important distinction.
The vowel “i” in “ning” is not longer than the “o”. It's “ningnnn” rather than “niiing”.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think a syllable is (lexically) stressed if
* it contains a non-reduced vowel
* the vowel is enunciated longer( and usually louder)
Where did you get this idea?

yangmuye

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Macau
Where did you get this idea?
If you are talking about “citations and references”, :roll: it's not an academic study but my feeling.

I realized the second point when I couldn't get my stress right in Portuguese. (I learned a little Portuguese for some reason)
The only distinction between a stressed syllable and a non-stressed syllable in Portuguese is the length of the vowel.

I got the first point because I'm memorizing words now. :-D
I think vowels like /aɪ/ /eɪ/ /ɔː/ /aʊ/ /oʊ/ /(j)uː/ /iː/ /ɑː/ /æ/ /ɛ/ seldom appear in non-stressed syllable.
/ʌ//ə(r)//ɜr/ are completely complementary (In Am.Eng).
/ɪ/, if it's represented by the letter E, is usually pronounced /ɛ/ or /iː/ when it's stressed.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you are talking about “citations and references”, :roll: it's not an academic study but my feeling.
I am afraid it's not a very helpful feeling.

The only distinction between a stressed syllable and a non-stressed syllable in Portuguese is the length of the vowel.
That is not the case in English

I think vowels like /aɪ/ /eɪ/ /ɔː/ /aʊ/ /oʊ/ /(j)uː/ /iː/ /ɑː/ /æ/ /ɛ/ seldom appear in a non-stressed syllable.
In a completely unstressed syllable, many vowels emerge as /ə/, but most vowels retain their quality when there is secondary stress.

/ɪ/, if it's represented by the letter E, is usually pronounced /ɛ/ or /iː/ when it's stressed.
Can you give some examples of this?.

yangmuye

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Macau
I am afraid it's not a very helpful feeling.
That is not the case in English
Of course, they are useless for native speakers.
But I think it's helpful, at least for Chinese speakers to know that the length is more important than the pitch.
I understood patran's problem immediately because I had the same problem.

In a completely unstressed syllable, many vowels emerge as /ə/, but most vowels retain their quality when there is secondary stress.
Yes. But a secondary stress is also a stress.
Well, I admit that my diction is not good. If fact, there are many cases where the vowels are not stressed but retain full. You may give better counterexamples.

According to dictionary.com, the unstressed prefix a is usually a /ə/,
e.g. adjoin adject, assent, about...
But if the a is followed by consonants like /p//t//k/, it is usually a /æ/.
e.g. advance, advice, accede...
If a word has two syllables, and the second syllable has a consonant ending, it's usually non-reduced. But If the ending is /r/ or /n/, it's usually reduced.

Can you give some examples of this?.
It's not a absolute rule, either. Examples:
'record vs. re'cord
disreputable vs disrepute
compete vs. competent
comedy vs. comedian​

# EDIT
It seems that I've said too much off-topic things.
I'm not advocating “Pitch hasn't nothing to do with stess.”, “Length is the only feature of stress” or “Unstressed syllables don't contain full vowels”.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.