[Grammar] You did play tennis yesterday, did/didn't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear teachers

In a English learning placement test at British Council, I put "didn't you" as the answer for the following sentence. I thought it should be "didn't you", but was told "did you" is the correct answer. I didnt have the time to ask the teachers there, as we were instructed to attend a course enrolment session immediately.

"You did play tennis yesterday, __________?"

Could like to know why it is "did you" in this case.

Cheers

Anthony

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear teachers

In a English learning placement test at British Council, I put "didn't you" as the answer for the following sentence. I thought it should be "didn't you", but was told "did you" is the correct answer. I didnt have the time to ask the teachers there, as we were instructed to attend a course enrolment session immediately.

"You did play tennis yesterday, __________?"

Could like to know why it is "did you" in this case.

Cheers

Anthony
The correct answer is "didn't you."
It's possible to repeat the question, "You did play tennis yesterday? Did you?" But that's not a tag question. I'd call that answer very unfair. It's a good example of why I don't like joining sentences with commas. Many people would accept "You did play tennis yesterday, did you?" for what I just wrote. Of course the intonation and the context are completely different with these sentences from one with "didn't you?" (in speech).
Anyhow, you say "you were told" the answer was "did you". Who told you?

patran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear Raymott, I think the the question MAYBE "You did play tennis yesterday? Did you?" I don't remember exactly. The answer "did you" was printed on the board for us (a bunch of students) to grade ourselves.

Regards

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you don't remember exactly, then it is hard for us to say whether what you were told was correct or not.

cheer965

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
You did play tennis yesterday, _______ ? (did/didn't you)
+ Ordinary answer must be 'didn't you' ( because it is a question tag)
+ According to the grammar book: " A practical English Grammar" by A.J Thomson and A.V Martinet - the answer may be 'did you' when the sentence is 'comment tag' (not a question tag).
This grammar book notes that: " Comment tags are formed with auxiliary verbs, just like question tags, but after an affirmative statement we use an ordinary interrogative tag; after a negative statement, we use a negative tag. A comment tag can be added to an affirmative statement. It then indicates that the speaker notes the fact."
Examples: You saw him, did you? = Oh, so you saw him.
You've found a job, have you? = Oh, so you found a job.
The explanation is extracted from "
A practical English Grammar" book, I think you can know more about this with the grammar book.

With best wishes.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You did play tennis yesterday, _______ ? (did/didn't you)
+ Ordinary answer must be 'didn't you' ( because it is a question tag)
+ According to the grammar book: " A practical English Grammar" by A.J Thomson and A.V Martinet - the answer may be 'did you' when the sentence is 'comment tag' (not a question tag).
This grammar book notes that: " Comment tags are formed with auxiliary verbs, just like question tags, but after an affirmative statement we use an ordinary interrogative tag; after a negative statement, we use a negative tag. A comment tag can be added to an affirmative statement. It then indicates that the speaker notes the fact."
Examples: You saw him, did you? = Oh, so you saw him.
You've found a job, have you? = Oh, so you found a job.
The explanation is extracted from "A practical English Grammar" book, I think you can know more about this with the grammar book.

With best wishes.
That's right. Comment tags - very good.
I don't think anyone's said what the question was yet. Surely that's pertinent if we are going to debate the answer.

patran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
That's right. Comment tags - very good.
I don't think anyone's said what the question was yet. Surely that's pertinent if we are going to debate the answer.
So both "didn't you"and "did you" are correct. It all depends on the meaning that the speaker wants to convey?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So both "didn't you"and "did you" are correct. It all depends on the meaning that the speaker wants to convey?
Yes, they are correct sentences. Whether they are correct answers depends on the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.