Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
My boy is a native Korean speaker who enrolled at first grade in US elementary school for the last 6 month. He does not know how to write it down. Yesterday, my boy said something sounding like "spout" or " spoon" when I gave him a milk. So I asked him what do you mean by "spout". he said he wants more milk.

I looked up a dictionary of "spout" and "spoon". I found nothing.
Please, let me know what I heard.
it is possible that my boy does not know what he said.

best,
jay

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Sorry we haven't been able to help, thirdrock. Nobody has been able to come up with a suggestion so far. Has your son changed this word at all?

Orris

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Armenia
My boy is a native Korean speaker who enrolled at first grade in US elementary school for the last 6 month. He does not know how to write it down. Yesterday, my boy said something sounding like "spout" or " spoon" when I gave him a milk. So I asked him what do you mean by "spout". he said he wants more milk.

best,
jay

Hey, I just checked the dictionary for the word "spout". It has the means of "(of a liquid) flow out forcibly in a stream" when used as a verb.

eg. blood was spouting from the cuts on my hand

So, when your son said "spout", it means that he wanted you to pour him more milk.

Hope this can help

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

best,
jay
Thirdrock, my hunch is that your son is referring to the type of milk carton that he may be seeing at his school. When I was in school, many years ago, our milk was served from a wax-coated cardboard container that had a 'spout'.

Refer to the following URL for additional information: Twist-It Spout Carton

Cheers,
Amigos4

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So, when your son said "spout", it means that he wanted you to pour him more milk.
The word is not used that way. If that is what he meant, then he was using it incorrectly. No native speaker would understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.