Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands

Hello everybody, I was studying and something confused me. Here are the example sentences from a book for causatives.

• have sth done I will have my car repaired next week.
• get sth done V3 I get my room cleaned by my sister
• have sb do sth I will have the plumber fix the leak tomorrow.
• get sb to do sth V1 I got my students to study more.

It is ok so far. However, I came across some sentences and these does not fit in the sample sentences above.

a) I will get my students involved in the instruction process more.

According to this sentence, ‘get somebody done’’. What does this form come from then? Why not ''I will get my students to involve in the instruction process more.'' Are both different in meaning?

OR

a) He got himself thrown out of the team
b) They got themselves invited to the party unwillingly.

I would be very happy if somebody could explain this to me.

Regards,

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello everybody, I was studying and something confused me. Here are the example sentences from a book for causatives.

• have sth done I will have my car repaired next week.
• get sth done V3 I get my room cleaned by my sister
• have sb do sth I will have the plumber fix the leak tomorrow.
• get sb to do sth V1 I got my students to study more.

It is ok so far. However, I came across some sentences and these does not fit in the sample sentences above.

a) I will get my students involved in the instruction process more. Here "get" is superfluous IMO. You could say "I will involve my students..."

According to this sentence, ‘get somebody done’’. What does this form come from then? Why not ''I will get my students to involve in the instruction process more.'' Are both different in meaning?

OR

a) He got himself thrown out of the team. Here "got" means "caused".
b) They got themselves invited to the party unwillingly. This doesn't make a great deal of sense to me.

I would be very happy if somebody could explain this to me.

Regards,
Bhai.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
a) "I will get my students involved in the instruction process more."

According to this sentence, ‘get somebody done’’. What does this form come from then? Why not b) ''I will get my students to involve themselves in the instruction process more.'' Are both different in meaning?
The sentences do not come from the summary. The summaries come from the sentences. "get somebody done" is not a correct summary of this construction. You could think of it as a form of "get somebody to do something" ie. 'become involved' or 'involve themselves'.
Your second sentence (b) doesn't make sense unless it's modified in some way, for example as I have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.