Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Do you use "wrecker" more or "tow truck" for dragging a wrecked car on the road?

spongie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Those words are common in American English.
It seems to me that "tow truck" is more popular.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd say 'breakdown vehicle', 'rescue vehicle' or 'recovery vehicle'.

We don't use wrecker in BE.

Rover

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In some parts of the US the two words are interchangeable, in other areas a "wrecker" usually refers to a flatbed truck that carries the inoperable car in the bed, while a "tow truck" uses a hoist and winch to lift the front tires off the ground and pulls the vehicle behind it on the back wheels.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In some parts of the US the two words are interchangeable, in other areas a "wrecker" usually refers to a flatbed truck that carries the inoperable car in the bed, while a "tow truck" uses a hoist and winch to lift the front tires off the ground and pulls the vehicle behind it on the back wheels.

Perfect!! I've heard an unidentifiable pronunciation like "lackar" so far in Korean, and one day my wife asked me what such vehicles are called, and I tried to think with the pronunciation "lackar", and after this question, I found out it is a distorted Korean accent of "wrecker".
And now you clarified that "wrecker" is for carrying the whole car on it, while "tow truck" is for only half the wheels on it and the others dragged on the road. In Korea, they normally use "tow truck", which is called "lackar(wrecker)", so it seems to be a little bit wrong usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.