Is the question given appropriate to the statement? (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
This is for a listening exercise. What is underlined is what the students have to fill according to what they hear.

In relation to the statement, 'Then he heard the dogs again, but he could not see the lights.', is this question appropriate- 'What did he hear again and what could not he see then?'

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi teachers,
This is for a listening exercise. What is underlined is what the students have to fill according to what they hear.

In relation to the statement, 'Then he heard the dogs again, but he could not see the lights.', is this question appropriate- 'What did he hear again and what could [STRIKE]not[/STRIKE] he not see?[STRIKE] then?'[/STRIKE]

Thanks in advance

See above. If you use "then" in the question, it sounds as if something happened after him hearing the dogs again. The statement suggests that the two were happening concurrently, so the question should reflect that.

What did he hear again, and what could he not see?
He heard the dogs again, and he could not see the lights.

If you're not going to post them as two separate questions, I would at least separate them with a comma.

For info, I don't know if you originally used "what could not he see" because you were avoiding the contraction "couldn't". If so, that is what might have led to the word order error.

What couldn't he see?
What could he not see?

Logically, you would expect "couldn't" to be extended directly to "could not" and for the words to stay in the same order, but they don't.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
See above. If you use "then" in the question, it sounds as if something happened after him hearing the dogs again. The statement suggests that the two were happening concurrently, so the question should reflect that. Thank you. I would have never thought about that by myself. It didn't happend anything after him hearing the dogs. In fact, the story goes on, on a different line like this, 'Don't stop now,' he thought, 'Dogs don't need eyes. They can find you in the dark.'

What did he hear again, and what could he not see?
He heard the dogs again, and he could not see the lights.
Unfortunately I can't change this sentence, ''Then he heard the dogs again, but he could not see the lights.'. That's what the students will hear on the CD.

If you're not going to post them as two separate questions, I would at least separate them with a comma.

For info, I don't know if you originally used "what could not he see" because you were avoiding the contraction "couldn't". If so, that is what might have led to the word order error. Yes you are right! Yo guess it.

What couldn't he see?
What could he not see?

Logically, you would expect "couldn't" to be extended directly to "could not" and for the words to stay in the same order, but they don't. That's true. I'll expect them to be in the same order, but somehow it sounded wrong to me that's why I've asked. May I know why is that?

Hi,
Thanks a lot for you explanations.
One more question please.
In relation to the statement, 'It was very dark here, and he could not see very well', My original question was- 'Why could not he see very well here?' but after what you told me I guess it should be, 'Why could he not see very well here?' And the answer should be, 'Because it was very dark here'. Right? I've written 'because' just to guide the students in their answers. Is it a wrong idea?
What about this one? In relation to this statement, 'He could not see the ground now.', is this question appropriate, 'What he could not see now?'

L54

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,
Thanks a lot for you explanations.
One more question please.
In relation to the statement, 'It was very dark here, and he could not see very well', My original question was- 'Why could not he see very well here?' but after what you told me I guess it should be, 'Why could he not see very well here?'
Yes, the question should be "Why could he not see very well here?"

And the answer should be, 'Because it was very dark here'. Right? I've written 'because' just to guide the students in their answers. Is it a wrong idea?
It's OK, although starting a sentence with "Because" is only appropriate in certain circumstances. This isn't one of them. However, if you helped them by writing "He could not see very well here because ..." then they can complete the sentence.

What about this one? In relation to this statement, 'He could not see the ground now.', is this question appropriate, 'What he could not see now?'
Did you check the word order with this one? Try again.

L54

See above.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
And the answer should be, 'Because it was very dark here'. Right? I've written 'because' just to guide the students in their answers. Is it a wrong idea?
It's OK, although starting a sentence with "Because" is only appropriate in certain circumstances. This isn't one of them. However, if you helped them by writing "He could not see very well here because ..." then they can complete the sentence.
Thank you for your suggestion.

Did you check the word order with this one? Try again.
So sorry. It should be, 'What could he not see?
Best,
L54

Status
Not open for further replies.