• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

conservative

Quote from VOA:
    Whitney signed with Arista in 1983 and released her self-titled debut album two years later. The New York Times called her first effort, "an impressive, musically conservative showcase for an exceptional vocal talent." She continued to garner similar accolades for subsequent albums, while her fast-growing fan base catapulted her into the realm of world-class entertainer. She crossed over into acting, starring in the Hollywood blockbusters "The Bodyguard," "Waiting To Exhale," and "The Preacher's Wife." In 1998, she released her most musically-diverse album to date, "My Love Is Your Love." The title track became her third best-selling single ever.
    Houston's untimely death prompted tributes the world over. Celebrities in Los Angeles for the 54th Annual Grammy Awards spoke glowingly about her influences and contributions. Mariah Carey said, "She will never be forgotten as one of the greatest voices ever to grace the earth."
    My questions:
    1.What does "conservative" mean here?
    2.My understanding is that she has already graced the world with one of the greatest voices ever, so it is more appropriate to say " having graced the earth " or " that have graced the earth"?
    Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: conservative

Conservative - comfortable, not pushing any boundaries

2: 'ever to grace the earth' is OK. 'The dinosaurs were the largest land animals ever to roam the earth.' (They haven't done it for 65M years, but the present tense is still acceptable.)

However, in your context, 'graceD' is also possible - though not in your first version. Another possibility is "She will never be forgotten as one of the greatest voices ever to have graced the earth." (I slightly prefer this to your second version - as the infinitive makes the value judgement less assertive than a bald finite: 'it HAS graced the earth'. But that's just me: your version is perfectly acceptable.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Conservative - comfortable, not pushing any boundaries

2: 'ever to grace the earth' is OK. 'The dinosaurs were the largest land animals ever to roam the earth.' (They haven't done it for 65M years, but the present tense is still acceptable.)

However, in your context, 'graceD' is also possible - though not in your first version. Another possibility is "She will never be forgotten as one of the greatest voices ever to have graced the earth." (I slightly prefer this to your second version - as the infinitive makes the value judgement less assertive than a bald finite: 'it HAS graced the earth'. But that's just me: your version is perfectly acceptable.

b
    If I want to reconstruct the attributive clauses "She will never be forgotten as one of the greatest voices ever that have graced the earth.",Which version is correct?
    1.She will never be forgotten as one of the greatest voices ever to grace the earth.
    2.She will never be forgotten as one of the greatest voices ever to have graced the earth.
    3.She will never be forgotten as one of the greatest voices ever graced the earth.
    4.She will never be forgotten as one of the greatest voices ever having graced the earth.
    5.She will never be forgotten as one of the greatest voices ever gracing the earth.
    Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Your first two are right, as I said in my previous response; please read it again.

3-5 are all wrong. You need a relative pronoun - I prefer 'that', but 'which' is fine - after 'voices' (and a finite verb, so 4 & 5 would still be wrong even after you'd added a relative pronoun).

b