Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
1) The council's relative independence of the government means it can negotiate its own agreements.
(Oxford Collocations Dictionary)
2) The independence of the government means its [the government's] decisions won't always conform to those of the president.
(My own piece of writing)

Does my sentence 2) sound OK?

If it does does it mean that
"The council was accustomed to the independence of the government."
is quite ambiguous?

Or would you expect 'to it's independence' if the author meant 'to the council's independence ~ 'the council was accustomed to the fact that it was independent of the government' rather than 'the council was accustomed to the fact that the government was an independent body'?

My apologies if my post is quite ambiguous itself, I've tried my best.

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
1) The council's relative independence of the government means it can negotiate its own agreements.
2) The independence of the government means its [the government's] decisions won't always conform to those of the president.

Does my sentence 2) sound OK?

If it does does it mean that
"The council was accustomed to the independence of the government."
is quite ambiguous?

Or would you expect 'to it's independence' if the author meant 'to the council's independence ~ 'the council was accustomed to the fact that it was independent of the government' rather than 'the council was accustomed to the fact that the government was an independent body'?

My apologies if my post is quite ambiguous itself, I've tried my best.

Thanks.
1) seems wrong to me.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Part of the problem here is that the two sentences seem totally unrelated. If #2 is meant to follow #1, it would be clear if you wrote 'this independence' rather than 'The independence of the government'. However, I don't see how this can mean that the government's decisions won't always conform to those of the president. Isn't the president the head of the government?

suprunp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Yes, 5jj, I made the second sentence totally unrelated to the first one.

What I've tried to say in 2) is
"The government is an independent body. The president does not have any influence on it.". I assumed that "the independence of the government means..." could mean "the fact that the government is an independent body means..." (it seems to be close in how this structure works to "the independence of Ukraine means...")

In my country the president isn't the head of the government, at least de jure, but let us not stray into politics :)

suprunp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The purpose of my initial question is to try to understand whether 'the independence of X' can be perceived differently in different contexts.

"The council was accustomed to the independence of the government." - I thought this sentence could be used as an example, so that if we could read it differently then it would mean that the meaning of 'the independence of X' can't be fixed and context would be a determinative factor in every case.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd add that telling us that your president is not part of your government is not straying into politics but rather giving essential context. For many reading the sentence, it was confusing because it was illogical for us to think of the president and the government acting independently.

Status
Not open for further replies.