Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
I've heard phrases like just in time, just at the right time...

but if there are no other hints, are 'on time' more or less the same as 'in time'?

thanks

spongie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I've heard phrases like just in time, just at the right time...

but if there are no other hints, are 'on time' more or less the same as 'in time'?

thanks

on time = happening or done at the particular moment that it was expected to happen or be done.
The bus arrived right on time.

in time = early enough
I got home just in time - it's starting to rain.

Cambridge Dictionary

Tedwonny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
on time = happening or done at the particular moment that it was expected to happen or be done.
The bus arrived right on time.

in time = early enough
I got home just in time - it's starting to rain.

Cambridge Dictionary

Thanks, I know how to check them in the dictionaries of course. What I'm really looking for is some 'live' tips for learners to easily distinguish between the two. Perhaps, it's better if I write my interpretations here and see what you guys think:

on time = key concept: expected
in time = key concept: more personal

E.g. I got to school on time = stressing that I arrived at an exact moment expected, say, 8am when the bell rang.
E.g. I got to school in time = stressing I'm not late. I got to school within the expected time range.

at the right time => doesn't tell us whether it's early/late, it tells us appropriateness.

what do you think? =)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your basic idea is okay. "In time" is not personal, though. It means that something happened at a time that did not interfer with another previously scheduled things.

I am supposed to meet you outside the theater at 7:30. The show starts at 8.
If I show up at 7:50, I am not on time. I did not arrive when I was exected. However, I still arrived in time to see the show.

Let's say you told me to meet you at 7:30, but you read the Web site wrong and the movie we wanted to see starts at 7:20. If I show up at 7:30, I am on time, but we are not in time to see the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.