Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear teachers

When using the word 'kind', I always have some difficulty. Shall I write "three kinds of jobs" or "three kinds of job", the object "job", is it always plural unless it is uncountable? Or, both jobs and job are fine depending on the meaning?

Please advise

Anthony the learner

RMislander

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
South Korea
With the word "jobs," you would say "three kinds of jobs" or "one kind of job."

As the second example shows, the object is not always plural.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would use "three kinds of job".

I have had three kinds of job - secretarial, administrative and managerial.

This falls under the same usage terms as "How many kinds of dog are there?", "How many types of tree exist?"

RMislander

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
South Korea
I would use "three kinds of job".

I have had three kinds of job - secretarial, administrative and managerial.

This falls under the same usage terms as "How many kinds of dog are there?", "How many types of tree exist?"

Great point. "Three kinds of job" sounds awfully strange to the ear though. Maybe it's just me.

Also, is job always considered the category?

"Secretarial work involves many different kinds of jobs, such as dealing with clients, managing appointments, etc."

Here, the jobs in question are the members of a category, the duties of a secretarial worker.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Great point. "Three kinds of job" sounds awfully strange to the ear though.
COCA give 2,462 citations for 'kinds of [noun singular]' and 7,279 for 'kinds of [noun plural]'. The plural is therefore more common, but the singular is still pretty commonly used.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Great point. "Three kinds of job" sounds awfully strange to the ear though. Maybe it's just me.

Also, is job always considered the category?

"Secretarial work involves many different kinds of jobs, such as dealing with clients, managing appointments, etc."

Here, the jobs in question are the members of a category, the duties of a secretarial worker.

I think it sounds a little odd because of the use of "kinds". Personally, I wouldn't actually use "kinds", I would say "types of job" or simply "I have had three different jobs" or "I have had three different job types". I'm sure others will disagree, though.

As far as "Secretarial work involves ..." I would simply say "Secretarial work involves [doing] many different jobs..." or "Secretarial work involves [doing] many different tasks ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.