Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
COLLINS COBUILD USAGE says that we should use the construction of 'have no problem doing something', but not 'have no problem to do something'. I googled on GOOGLEBOOKS, and it turned out more than 40,000 results, like:

They have no problem to live, to work and to interact with those of different
race, culture and language.

Is this construction ok to use?

Thank you in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
On Google (and presumably on Googlebooks) you can probably find lots of examples of just about anything. However, for me "I have no problem V+ing" is the only natural construction.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
COLLINS COBUILD USAGE says that we should use the construction of 'have no problem doing something', but not 'have no problem to do something'. I googled on GOOGLEBOOKS, and it turned out more than 40,000 results ...
The far more useful COCA has 379 citations for 'have/had no problem [verb +ing]' and none for 'have/had no problem [to- infinitive]'.

joham

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There are five sentences in the COCA with the construction of 'have/had no problem to do something'. (I used '[have] no problem to [v*]' to search for it.) So it is not very safe for us ESLs to use the corpora or the GOOGLEBOOKS. We aren't sure when it is reliable. We often have to ask for native speakers' help. Fortunately we can get here to ask for your help:-D.

HAVE NO PROBLEM TO TALK

HAVE NO PROBLEM TO SIT

HAVE NO PROBLEM TO NEGOTIATE

HAVE NO PROBLEM TO HAVE

HAD NO PROBLEM TO IDENTIFY

Last edited by a moderator:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There are five sentences in the COCA with the construction of 'have/had no problem to do something'. (I used '[have] no problem to [v*]' to search for it.) So it is not very safe for us ESLs to use the corpora or the GOOGLEBOOKS. We aren't sure when it is reliable. We often have to ask for native speakers' help. Fortunately we can get here to ask for your help:-D.
You found more than I did, but you found only five; with 379, the -ing is clearly the the form that the majority of speakers/writers use.

COCA is based on a bank of 425 million words. It is extremely reliable if you want to find out what people have actually said and written, far more reliable than individual native speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.