• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

parenthesis (cont...)

Hi,

In the following parenthesis structure, grammatically, in what places can the words "however" and "for example" be put in it (and aslo make the sentence correct in meaning)? I have listed several possible combinations, as follows, please advise if there are any other combinations, and also tell me which one is wrong is any. Thank you! And if you could tell me their subtle differences in grammar or meaning, I would highly appreciate it.

1. However, farmers in this country have to comply with stringent requirements which make it much more costly to produce. In meat production, for example, they do not tolerate growth hormones and genetically-modified products.

2. Farmers,
    however, in this country have to comply with stringent requirements which make it much more costly to produce. In meat production, for example, they do not tolerate growth hormones and genetically-modified products.

3. Farmers in this country, however, have to comply with stringent requirements which make it much more costly to produce. In meat production, for example, they do not tolerate growth hormones and genetically-modified products.

4. Farmers in this country have to, however, comply with stringent requirements which make it much more costly to produce. In meat production, for example, they do not tolerate growth hormones and genetically-modified products.

5. Farmers in this country have to comply with stringent requirements which make it much more costly to produce. For example, in meat production, they do not tolerate growth hormones and genetically-modified products.

6.Farmers in this country have to comply with stringent requirements which make it much more costly to produce. In meat production, for example, they do not tolerate growth hormones and genetically-modified products.

7. Farmers in this country have to comply with stringent requirements which make it much more costly to produce. In meat production, they, for example, do not tolerate growth hormones and genetically-modified products.

8. Farmers in this country have to comply with stringent requirements which make it much more costly to produce. In meat production, they do not tolerate, for example, growth hormones and genetically-modified products.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: parenthesis (cont...)

Quote Originally Posted by yanx View Post
    In the following parenthesis structure, grammatically, in what places can the words "however" and "for example" be put in it grammatically, (and aslo make the sentence correct in meaning)? I have listed several possible combinations, as follows,. p Please advise if there are any other combinations, and also tell me which one is wrong isf any. Thank you! And if you could tell me their subtle differences in grammar or meaning, I would highly appreciate it.

1. However, farmers in this country have to comply with stringent requirements which make it much more costly to produce. In meat production, for example, they do not tolerate growth hormones and genetically-modified products.

2. Farmers,
    however, in this country have to comply with stringent requirements which make it much more costly to produce. In meat production, for example, they do not tolerate growth hormones and genetically-modified products.
    Possible, but with a different emphasis.

3. Farmers in this country, however, have to comply with stringent requirements which make it much more costly to produce. In meat production, for example, they do not tolerate growth hormones and genetically-modified products.

4. Farmers in this country have to, however, comply with stringent requirements which make it much more costly to produce. In meat production, for example, they do not tolerate growth hormones and genetically-modified products. Possible. but clumsy.

5. Farmers in this country have to comply with stringent requirements which make it much more costly to produce. For example, in meat production, they do not tolerate growth hormones and genetically-modified products.

6.Farmers in this country have to comply with stringent requirements which make it much more costly to produce. In meat production, for example, they do not tolerate growth hormones and genetically-modified products.

7. Farmers in this country have to comply with stringent requirements which make it much more costly to produce. In meat production, they, for example, do not tolerate growth hormones and genetically-modified products. No.

8. Farmers in this country have to comply with stringent requirements which make it much more costly to produce. In meat production, they do not tolerate, for example, growth hormones and genetically-modified products. Possible, but with a different emphasis.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: parenthesis (cont...)

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post

Thanks!!! I understand. It really helps.