Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Feb 2012
    • Posts: 22
    #1

    Report to the office meaning?

    This is a sentence in my book.

    When are the new accountants expected to report to the office?

    I though report means literally report which means giving someone a message. But my book says this sentence only means going to the office. Is that right?

    Please help me. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by AndyJung; 22-Feb-2012 at 01:36.

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,103
    #2

    Re: Report to the office meaning?

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyJung View Post
    This is a sentence in my book.

    When are the new accountants expected to report to the office?

    I though report means literally report which means giving someone a message. But my book says this sentence only means going to the office. Is that right?

    Please help me. Thanks in advance.
    It could mean either of those things.
    (And 'report' does mean literally report, but 'report' has more than one literal meaning).

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Feb 2012
    • Posts: 22
    #3

    Re: Report to the office meaning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    It could mean either of those things.
    (And 'report' does mean literally report, but 'report' has more than one literal meaning).
    Thank you for a quick answer.

    But, what you meant by could is those are equally used? Then, I'm just wondering, if you see that sentence which meaning do you think of first? If you say both, then I'll just keep that in mind. But I hope first meaning is much more common to native speakers.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #4

    Re: Report to the office meaning?

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyJung View Post
    I'm just wondering, if you see that sentence which meaning do you think of first?
    I think that it means that they should go to the office to say that they are there - i.e., to 'report' their arrival.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,103
    #5

    Re: Report to the office meaning?

    I agree that that meaning would be more common. But I disagree with your book if it does indeed say that the other meaning is not possible.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Feb 2012
    • Posts: 22
    #6

    Re: Report to the office meaning?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    I think that it means that they should go to the office to say that they are there - i.e., to 'report' their arrival.
    That is brilliant. Thank you. Now I understand everyting.

Similar Threads

  1. good office meaning
    By ashwini.2106 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-Mar-2011, 21:25
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Aug-2010, 09:27
  3. General Office or Comprehensive Office ?
    By SongYuxiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Apr-2009, 12:09
  4. I'm away from office
    By hampeh in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-May-2007, 03:03

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •