Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam

If it _______________ tomorrow, I __________ at home.
A. is/ will stay B. was / would stay C. is / stay D. will be /stay

The test maker here made a mistake in his sentence: The sentence should be read: "If it _________ nice tomorrow, I ...."

The testmaker's option is "A. is/will stay"

What I want to ask is that is there a possibility that the candidates will choose B. was/ would stay" because of the testmaker's mistake?
I myself think that "B" is impossible here because we can only use if type 2 if we rewrite the question like this : "If today _________ tomorrow,...."
Thanks in advance!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What I want to ask is [STRIKE]that is[/STRIKE] whether there is a possibility that the candidates will choose B. was/ would stay" because of the testmaker's mistake? The mistake does not change anything. No answer makes sense.
I myself think that "B" is impossible here because we can only use if type 2 if we rewrite the question like this : "If today _________ tomorrow,....". No, "If it was/were nice tomorrow, I would stay at home" is fine. Actually, "If it is nice tomorrow, I stay at home" is also possible, though not very likely. It's a bad test question.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'No answer makes sense' - without some [ahem] context (to explain what 'it' is - if the conversation is about the timing of a social function, for example: 'If it is/was/were tomorrow I [would/will stay]/[am/will be staying] at home. But if it's next week. I'll be there.'

b

mr_useless

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Australia
Is it fine if I put it in this way " If it _________ yesterday, I__________at home."? Then option B "was/would stay" will fit.

I have an example: If it ___WILL HAPPEN___tomorrow, I____STAY_____at home.
Go back to it origin: If it ___WILL BE___tomorrow, I __STAY__at home.

Are they fine:roll:?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is it fine if I put it in this way " If it _________ yesterday, I__________at home."? Then option B "was/would stay" will fit. X

I have an example: If it ___WILL HAPPEN___tomorrow, I____STAY_____at home. X
Go back to it origin: If it ___WILL BE___tomorrow, I __STAY__at home. X

Are they fine?
No

Status
Not open for further replies.