Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkmen
      • Home Country:
      • Turkmenistan
      • Current Location:
      • Turkmenistan

    • Join Date: Dec 2011
    • Posts: 133
    #1

    collective nouns

    Hello,

    We know, of course, that collective nouns are not treated the same in BrE and AmE. In American English, collective nouns are always singular, and in British English collective nouns can be either plural or singular.

    Such as
    : Forest,
    crowd, cattle, audience, group, class, family,...etc.

    My question is how to use it with numbers?

    A family of two (THAT'S OK)

    Could you please check which ones are fine?

    Groups of 4,
    2 family,
    2 group,
    2 families,
    2 groups,
    Lots of family,
    Lots of families.

    For example: There are lots of class/ classes in that school.
    There are 2 group/ groups.

    Thanks...




  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,609
    #2

    Re: collective nouns

    Quote Originally Posted by ridvann View Post
    Hello,

    We know, of course, that collective nouns are not treated the same in BrE and AmE. In American English, collective nouns are always singular, and in British English collective nouns can be either plural or singular.

    Such as
    : Forest,
    crowd, cattle, audience, group, class, family,...etc.

    My question is how to use it with numbers?

    A family of two (THAT'S OK)

    Could you please check which ones are fine?

    Groups of 4,
    OK.
    2 family,
    No.
    2 group,
    No.
    2 families,
    OK.
    2 groups,
    OK.
    Lots of family,
    Possible.
    Lots of families.
    OK.

    For example: There are lots of class/ classes in that school.
    "classes".

    Thanks...
    Bhai.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkmen
      • Home Country:
      • Turkmenistan
      • Current Location:
      • Turkmenistan

    • Join Date: Dec 2011
    • Posts: 133
    #3

    Re: collective nouns

    Thanks for the answer. As you have said 'lots of family ispossible, lots of families is OK.
    Can we construct a sentence like that?

    There are/is lots of family in her
    race.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,609
    #4

    Re: collective nouns

    Quote Originally Posted by ridvann View Post
    Thanks for the answer. As you have said 'lots of family ispossible, lots of families is OK.
    Can we construct a sentence like that?

    There are/is lots of family in her
    race.
    What do you mean by "race"?
    You could say informally, "I have lots of family in Ireland", for example.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkmen
      • Home Country:
      • Turkmenistan
      • Current Location:
      • Turkmenistan

    • Join Date: Dec 2011
    • Posts: 133
    #5

    Re: collective nouns

    I just wanted to learn if it is grammatically correct or not.

    There are lots of classes in that school. (THAT'S OK)
    There is lots of class in that school. (IS THAT OK?)



  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,609
    #6

    Re: collective nouns

    Quote Originally Posted by ridvann View Post
    I just wanted to learn if it is grammatically correct or not.

    There are lots of classes in that school. (THAT'S OK)
    There is lots of class in that school. (IS THAT OK?)


    No. You might say "That school has lots/a lot of class". http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/class_4

  4. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #7

    Re: collective nouns

    And the American version of these is exactly the same as Bhai describes.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Similar Threads

  1. Collective nouns
    By rekha1594 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Nov-2007, 15:15
  2. collective nouns
    By samfat33 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Sep-2007, 13:06
  3. Words associated with Nouns... Collective Nouns?
    By Niall in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-Jan-2007, 03:57
  4. Words associated with Nouns... Collective Nouns?
    By Niall in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Jan-2007, 19:56
  5. collective nouns
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-Feb-2004, 20:46

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •