Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Why did she respond in an arrogant way though she asked for help? Is it because she was with a different person she didn't ask for help for or is it her strategy to appeal to the client?

ex)A business woman named Cindy noticed a famous successful business woman, Jessica, in the airport VIP lounge. She decided to go ahead, approached Jessica, and introduced herself. Much to her surprise, Jessica turned out to be very nice. Encouraged by this, Cindy said that she was about to close a very important business deal and asked her a favor. She wanted Jessica to say a quick “Hello, Cindy!” while she met with her client. Jessica agreed to do that. Ten minutes later when Cindy was speaking with her client, she approached and said, “Hi, Cindy, what's going on?” To this she arrogantly replied, “Not now, can't you see I'm in a meeting?”

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I realize Cindy must have tried to the client by showing off that she knew a great person like Jessica to help to close a deal. Is it correct?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I realize Cindy must have tried to the client by showing off that she knew a great person like Jessica to help to close a deal. Is it correct?

Yes, it's probably that.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not only that she knew this famous person, but that she was able to act dismissively towards her.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't say I find her strategy very effective. I don't care if you're being rude to Bill Gates or being rude to the guy who is emptying the trash -- if you're rude, I'm not impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.