Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
United States

Media Fright
In the article “Extreme Reality: How Media Coverage Exaggerates Risks and Dangers” the author John
Stossel describe how the Mass Media exaggerate certain things to startle the viewers. First thing Stossel talk about is television. Everyday crimes and accidents are over- embellish on television. Which make the world seems like an extremely dangerous place to live in. Stossel also talk about Newspapers, which are not much different from television. The Newspapers takes over television job of scarring us to death whenever television fails. Even though television and newspaper are great sources of information and entertainment, I have to agree with Stossel that media can be very dangerous when used for wrong purposes.
First, the problem is not Television it is within us. Watch TV and enjoy it, but do not believe anything you see or hear. I like to stay away from Television as much as possible. Reason behind it, I do not have time or patients. I grew up in a very small village in Pakistan. There was a television set in my house but I only ever bother to turn it on when Sesame Street was on. Some of my friends find it weird when I tell them. One of my very close friend spent majority of his time watching television. I do not know if watching television has turned him into a genius or an idiot. I call him Wikipedia because he has information about almost anything but the information is not always accurate. Television is not a bad thing. Television keeps us updated on what is going on around the world. The movement you start believing is the movement it becomes a problem. As Stossel have mentioned in his article Television can lead to extreme paranoia.
Newspapers publish what they want us to read; Newspapers are selling information’s; it is up to you if you want to buy it or not. Newspapers have been around for a long time. Newspapers have both negative and positive effects on people just like television. Some of the evident positive effects of newspapers are that they can improve reading, writing and communication skills, and at the same time keeps, we updated. The negative, well other than cutting down trees for papers is our trust in newspapers. If you are buying newspapers, they will have influence on you both negative and positive.
Just because someone post online that world is going to end does not mean it really going to end. It is up to each individual what he or she want to believe and what not. Internet is one of the most dominant things in the world today. World Wide Web has become a complete world in itself. It is a market, community and one of the best sources of information. Internet has made life so much easier and faster. People can sit home and work online; anyone can start their own business on the internet. Just like everything else internet have negative effect on society. There are people on internet that want to start trouble. The World has it problem in the past and there will be problem in the future.
Stossel blame mass media for causing public fear and I agree with him. Information spread like a virus once it hit media. Most of the information is help full but at the same time they can be very frightening. That does not mean be should ban the media. Everything has it pros and cons, nothing is perfect. It is up to us to make the right decision. If you cannot tell the difference between right and wrong than the problem is in with you not the media.

Works Cites

Stossel, John. “Extreme Reality: How Media Coverage Exaggerates Risk and Danger.” What Matters in America. Ed. Gary Goshgarian. New York: Pearson, 2011. 150-53. Print.

februar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
How can I make this essay better - editing.

Media Fright

In the article “Extreme Reality: How Media Coverage Exaggerates Risks and Dangers” the author John
Stossel describes how the mass media exaggerate certain things to startle the viewers. The first thing Stossel talks about is television. Everyday crimes and accidents are over-embellished on television. This makes the world seem like an extremely dangerous place to live in. Stossel also talks about newspapers, which are not much different from television. The newspapers take over the television job of scarring us to death whenever television fails. Even though, television and newspapers are great sources of information and entertainment. I have to agree with Stossel that media can be very dangerous when used for wrong purposes.

First, the problem is not television-- it is within us. Watch TV and enjoy it, but do not believe anything you see or hear. I like to stay away from television as much as possible. The reason behind it is that I do not have time or the patience. I grew up in a very small village in Pakistan. There was a television set in my house but I only ever bother to turn it on when Sesame Street was on. Some of my friends find it weird when I tell them. One of my very close friends spent the majority of his time watching television. I do not know whether watching television has turned him into a genius or an idiot. I call him Wikipedia because he has information about almost anything but the information is not always accurate (Wikipedia is on the internet not on TV). Television is not a bad thing. Television keeps us up to date on what is going on around the world. As soon as you start believing everything, a problem will arise for you. As Stossel has mentioned in his article television can lead to extreme paranoia.

Newspapers publish what they want us to read; newspapers are selling information; it is up to you whether you want to buy them or not. Newspapers have been around for a long time. Newspapers have both negative and positive effects on people just like television. Some of the evident positive effects of newspapers are that they can improve reading, writing and communication skills, and at the same time keep us up to date. The negative, well other than cutting down trees for papers is our implicit trust in newspapers. If you are buying newspapers, they will have influence on you both negative and positive.

Just because someone posts online that the world is going to end does not mean that it really will happen. It is up to each individual what he or she wants to believe and what not. The Internet is one of the most dominant things in the world today. Fact is that the World Wide Web has become a complete world in itself. It is a market, community and one of the best sources of information. The Internet has made life so much easier and faster. People can sit at home and work online; anyone can start their own business on the internet. Just like everything else the internet has a negative effect on society. There are people that want to start trouble on the internet. The world has had its problems in the past and there will be problems in the future too.

Stossel blames the mass media for causing public fear and I agree with him. Information spreads like a virus once it hits the media. Most information is helpful but at the same time they can be very frightening. That does not mean that the media should be banned. Everything has its pros and cons, nothing is perfect. It is up to us to make the right decision. If you cannot tell the difference between right and wrong than the problem lies with you not the media.

Works Cites

Stossel, John. “Extreme Reality: How Media Coverage Exaggerates Risk and Danger.” What Matters in America. Ed. Gary Goshgarian. New York: Pearson, 2011. 150-53. Print.

------------------------------------------------

(You started the second paragraph with the word first, but there are nowhere the words second or next or finally in the article)

februar, no teacher

waleed007

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
United States
Thank you so much for all your help I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.