Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I know I have already psoted some questions about relative clauses and gotten great answers but all of a sudden, another question pops up, so please do not get upset with my dragging questions.

I know that the meaning of the two sentences below is the same.

"London, which we visited last spring, was exciting= The city which I visited last spring was exciting".

However, problem is that if speakers or writers already know which city or there is only one they are talking about in the context. Can I say or write like this "The city, which I visited last spring, was exciting". The city is not modified because the city implies "London" itself without relative clasue's modifiying and they already know it each other.

So, my point is that depening on speakers or writers' view, three sentences can be written as those forms and tell the same meaning?

1. London, which we visited last spring, was exciting.

2. The city which I visited last spring was exciting.

3. The city, which I visited last spring, was exciting.

Thanks a lot in advance all the time.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I know that the meaning of the two sentences below is the same.

"London, which we visited last spring, was exciting = The city which I visited last spring was exciting".

The meaning is not the same. The second sentence could refer to any city in the world, if you happened to visit it last spring. If you know that you are referring to London, then you will use the first sentence.

Can I say or write like this "The city, which I visited last spring, was exciting". ? The city is not modified because the city implies "London" itself.
That is possible if context makes it clear that the city referred to is London.

Status
Not open for further replies.