Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Syria
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hello,

I am learning new words from the stories. while i am reading the book i underline the new words and write in new paper to keep it in my pocket.
i learned too many new words but the problem some times i forget and got confused of some words i learned before. do i use the perfect way to learn new words and improve my skills.

mr_useless

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Australia
Hi feddail,
I used to learn English the same way like your, but I gave up easily because I hate reading something I don't understand and learning some words I rarely use. After a few times giving up (not one), I develop my own strategy to learn English from reading. When I read something, news or books, I don't use a dictionary. I use a pen to circle the verb in the sentence I read, underline the subject and the object, then find the adjective, adverb. At my English level, I can only use basic English to write, and learn more basic words from friends on this forum. I will catch up with them if I write to them often. Wish I can help.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I am learning new words from the stories. while i am reading the book i underline the new words and write in new paper to keep it in my pocket.
i learned too many new words but the problem some times i forget and got confused of some words i learned before. do i use the perfect way to learn new words and improve my skills.

Hi fedail, and welcome to Using English.
Another person once suggested this method, and I think it's a good one.
- Buy a small, inexpensive paper dictionary.
- When you have to look up a word, put a check mark next to it.
- If you look up the same word again, place another check mark, and then make an attempt to use that word on your own within the next day.
- If you find you have had to look up the same word three times (that is, if you go to look it up and find two check marks already), that means you have to make a real effort to add that word to your working vocabulary. Create situations to use that word, write a few sentences with it (post those sentences here if you want) and really learn it.

In the meantime, please remember that the pronoun "I" and all words that start a sentence are capitalized.

fedail

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Syria
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Thanks a lot. I'll do my best with it

Status
Not open for further replies.