• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

compensating cuts

Quote from CNN News:
    ""Voting for the debt ceiling five different times without voting for compensating cuts," said Romney, describing Santorum as a big spender in Congress. "Voting to fund Planned Parenthood, voting to expand the Department of Education. During his term in the Senate spending grew by some 80% of the federal government."

"When you look at my record of never having raised taxes -- Gov. Romney raised several hundred million dollars in taxes and fees in Massachusetts. I never voted to raise taxes," Santorum said. "Gov. Romney even today suggested raising taxes on the top 1%, adopting the Occupy Wall Street rhetoric. I'm not going to adopt that rhetoric."

"Congress has a role to play when it comes to appropriating money," Santorum declared in a full-throated, detailed defense of the process -- one he said Romney had taken advantage of when he requested funds for the 2002 Olympic Games in Utah.
    "I didn't follow all of that," Romney cracked after Santorum finished speaking. While criticizing Santorum for some of the earmarks he supported, Romney defended his request for Olympic funds."

My questions:
    1.What does "compensating cuts" mean? Does it mean "compensating cuts in spending" or "compensating cuts in funding"?
    2.What does "on the top 1%" mean?
    3.Does "process" refer to " Santorum's accusation against Romney's Olympic funding request "?
    4. What does "follow" mean?
    Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: compensating cuts

Quote Originally Posted by masterding View Post
    Quote from CNN News:
    ""Voting for the debt ceiling five different times without voting for compensating cuts," said Romney, describing Santorum as a big spender in Congress. "Voting to fund Planned Parenthood, voting to expand the Department of Education. During his term in the Senate spending grew by some 80% of the federal government."

"When you look at my record of never having raised taxes -- Gov. Romney raised several hundred million dollars in taxes and fees in Massachusetts. I never voted to raise taxes," Santorum said. "Gov. Romney even today suggested raising taxes on the top 1%, adopting the Occupy Wall Street rhetoric. I'm not going to adopt that rhetoric."

"Congress has a role to play when it comes to appropriating money," Santorum declared in a full-throated, detailed defense of the process -- one he said Romney had taken advantage of when he requested funds for the 2002 Olympic Games in Utah.
    "I didn't follow all of that," Romney cracked after Santorum finished speaking. While criticizing Santorum for some of the earmarks he supported, Romney defended his request for Olympic funds."

My questions:
    1.What does "compensating cuts" mean? Does it mean "compensating cuts in spending" or "compensating cuts in funding"?
    2.What does "on the top 1%" mean?
    3.Does "process" refer to " Santorum's accusation against Romney's Olympic funding request "?
    4. What does "follow" mean?
    Thanks.
    1. Some people believe that the US debt is completely out of control. They have been insisting that raises in the "debt ceiling" (how much the gov't is allowed to borrow) be accompanied by cuts in government spending. It's a "yes, you can borrow more, but not as much as you would like" position versus a "go ahead and keep borrowing and running huge annual deficits."

2. The top 1% of income earners.

3. The "process" is how gov't funds are appropriated. Congressmen are often criticized for inserting special projects into gov't appropriation bills. These special fund appropriations are called "earmarks." Santorum was saying that not all earmarks are bad and sometimes that is the "process" that one needs to follow to get things funded. He also said that Romney benefited from earmarks when Romney was the Olympic chairman.

4. He may have been simply saying he couldn't understand Santorum's argument because it was so convoluted.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

1.So "compensating cuts" means "cuts in spending", but why use " compensating"? What does "compensating" mean here?
    3.If the "process" is how gov't funds are appropriated,in this case it should be the "process" of earmarking which Romney benefited from when he was the Olympic chairman.That was exactly what Santorum attacked Romney of, then why should he defend the "process" instead of attacking ?
    Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

1. In order to "compensate" for increasing the debt limit (spending more money) the politicians want cuts in spending elsewhere. They're still spending a lot of money, so any "compensation" is only partial, not total.

3. Santorum was being attacked for using earmarks and Santorum was defending the process. Romaney was attacking the process and Santorum was pointing out that Romney had benefited from the process he was criticizing.