Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Could you please tell me if the word "garage" in English also means the same as "attic" (not only a place where a car is kept). If so, could you explain to me the difference between these two words and the ways they are used?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could you please tell me if the word "garage" in English also means the same as "attic" (not only a place where a car is kept). If so, could you explain to me the difference between these two words and the ways they are used?

They are not the same at all. A garage is a building next to your house or in another location where you keep your car. It is also the word for a business which fixes cars. The attic is the space at the top of your house, under the roof, which can be used for storage of things that you don't need very often. In British English, the attic is usually referred to as "the loft". Some people have their loft/attic converted into a proper room with its own staircase and it's normally used as an office or an extra bedroom.

You cannot simply use attic and garage interchangeably.

You might keep boxes of your property safely in either a garage or an attic, but you would never keep your car in your attic!

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you. It was silly of me to have confused the garage and the garret. My question was actually about the garret and the attic. But I've already found the difference - garret is a small living area and they don't usually live in the attic. Thanks for your patience!)))

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They are not the same at all. A garage is a building next to your house or in another location where you keep your car. It is also the word for a business which fixes cars. The attic is the space at the top of your house, under the roof, which can be used for storage of things that you don't need very often. In British English, the attic is usually referred to as "the loft". Some people have their loft/attic converted into a proper room with its own staircase and it's normally used as an office or an extra bedroom.

You cannot simply use attic and garage interchangeably.

You might keep boxes of your property safely in either a garage or an attic, but you would never keep your car in your attic!

Most houses in the US have a garage built in, rather than being a separate building.

Status
Not open for further replies.