Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They're all OK. The one with 'him' is informal, and the second sounds a bit stilted to me. The first has an obvious typo.

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The one with 'him' is informal,...
Perhaps I am old(-fashioned), but I consider that one to be unacceptable.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps I am old(-fashioned), but I consider that one to be unacceptable.

I agree. And the common "incorrect" use would be "Me and him..."

Nicky_K

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Not a teacher

English is the one language I'm familiar with, which uses object pronouns (like me, him, her, us) in a 'strange' way. E.g. It's me, that's us etc. In the objective case. They are all correct sentences. But in many other languages we say It's I or That's we - in the nominative case, which is incorrect in English. E.g. in German 'Das bin ich', 'Das sind wir' (the same is in Russian). Nominative is the right case in these languages for these sentences. In other circumstances you have to use object pronouns the right way. Cp. 'I gave him my book', 'He is doing my homework' . Both are in the same cases as in other languages. This 'strange' usage of object pronouns leads to the fact, that many people say them wrong, but it's sounds like they are right sentences. I hope you understand, what I mean

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The 'incorrect' usage is common only with pronouns linked by 'and'.

You will hear "Me and John/John and me is/are going", but not "Me is going".

In the case of "It's/That's/etc me/him/etc" It could be argued that this has always been acceptable to most speakers; we have here not an object pronoun but an emphatic one. It is no more incorrect than the French "C'est moi/lui/etc".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You'll also hear Myself and John/John and myself are going. Some linguists have argued that rules about subject/object should be relaxed with compound pronouns, but many disagree. As reflexive and object pronouns in subject position are regarded as wrong by many, playing safe and not using them might be a sensible approach.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The 'incorrect' usage is common only with pronouns linked by 'and'.

You will hear "Me and John/John and me is/are going", but not "Me is going".

In the case of "It's/That's/etc me/him/etc" It could be argued that this has always been acceptable to most speakers; we have here not an object pronoun but an emphatic one. It is no more incorrect than the French "C'est moi/lui/etc".

Good point - I'd never thought of it that way, but now you've said it it's hard not to. ;-)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree. And the common "incorrect" use would be "Me and him..."
I'd agreed on that - 'Me and him' being 'incorrect'. I specifically meant to regard as acceptable (but informal) 'Him and I'.
Applying 5jj's analysis, 'him' is not objective or accusative or whatever you prefer, it's emphatic - like lui (in the emphatic use of that word, not the indirect object).

b

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Not a teacher

English is the one language I familiar with, which uses object pronouns (like me, him, her, us) in a 'strange' way.
The red comma doesn't belong. It signifies a non-restrictive clause. I thought you were saying that English was the only language you knew, and that it uses object pronouns in a strange way. Another example of a non-restrictive clause: "English is the only language I'm familiar with, which is fine by me."

What you mean (since you are familar with other languages) is "English is the one language I familiar with which uses object pronouns (like me, him, her, us) in a 'strange' way."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd agreed on that - 'Me and him' being 'incorrect'. I specifically meant to regard as acceptable (but informal) 'Him and I'.
Applying 5jj's analysis, 'him' is not objective or accusative or whatever you prefer, it's emphatic - like lui (in the emphatic use of that word, not the indirect object).

b

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "Him and I," (as a sentence's subject) which is why I commented. It's certainly incorrect grammatically, but I don't think it's natural at all.

Nicky_K

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
English is the one language I'm familiar with, which uses object pronouns (like me, him, her, us) in a 'strange' way.

The red comma doesn't belong. It signifies a non-restrictive clause."

In other languages I'm familiar with, it has to be a comma at this place :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.