Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

I am trying to understand this sentence from this video on youtube ('U S Funds Iran Nuclear Program.CNN News report' - it is around 4 min 17 seconds in the video).

'When I suggested there was a change of policy, I didn't for a moment go into some sort of polyanna lapse that assumed that anyone at the Bush administration would be intelligent or sensitive enough to think about a change, but Congressman Dingle, Congressman (name not clear) showing some considerable presence, and frankly, some forward looking consideration ..are they demanding they change?'

I looked up the meaning of 'polyanna' and it means
1.an excessively or blindly optimistic person.

adjective 2.(often lowercase) Also, Pol·ly·an·na·ish. unreasonably or illogically optimistic: some pollyanna notions about world peace.

Does the above sentence (in quotes) mean that the speaker (Lou Dobbs) is saying that he was not (making the mistake of - because he used the word 'lapse') being excessively optimistic in assuming that the Bush administration would be sensitive enough to change?

It may be difficult to understand the meaning without the proper context such as a background on what the Bush administration did, or how the speaker (Lou Dobbs) views this topic.

Thank you

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

Does the above sentence (in quotes) mean that the speaker (Lou Dobbs) is saying that he was not (making the mistake of - because he used the word 'lapse') being excessively optimistic in assuming that the Bush administration would be sensitive enough to change?

Yup, that's what he's saying.

It may be difficult to understand the meaning without the proper context such as a background on what the Bush administration did, or how the speaker (Lou Dobbs) views this topic.

You can certainly infer that the speaker has a low opinion of the Bush adminstration from this.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
@Barb_D, thank you :) :up:

Could he have also said - I was not being pollyanaish in assuming that ....?

I think it is similar in meaning, but I am wondering if his specific choice of words ('some sort of pollyanna lapse') is subtly different in meaning and is somehow stronger (because of the use of the word 'lapse') in indicating his low opinion.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.