Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello, everyone! My name is Kate and I'm from Russian Federation, that's why sorry for my english;-) I need your help very-very, for my work at university I need answers of native speakers, it's very important for my research, please try to help me, I hope it will not be very difficult for you
Here is my Questionnaire, you are welcome!
Read the following idioms and tick those which are typically English and have no equivalents in other languages.

1. As the crow flies – directly or in a straight line
  2. Dutch treat – share the cost, when each person pays for himself or herself
  3. Fish out of water – a person who is uncomfortable in a situation or doesn’t belong in a particular environment
  4. Look like a million dollars – look or feel extremely attractive
  5. Go bananas – go crazy
  6. Have a frog in smb’s throat – be unable to speak clearly until you cough
  7. Bring home the bacon – earn money to live on
  8. A penny pincher – a person who doesn’t like to spend money
  9. Not worth a red cent - worthless
  10. Hem and haw - hesitate to say smth. directly

If a non-native speaker uses the following idioms in his / her speech it sounds:
  • Natural
  • Admiring
  • Strange
Choose one of these reactions for each idiom.

1. As the crow flies – directly or in a straight line
  2. Dutch treat – share the cost, when each person pays for himself or herself
  3. Fish out of water – a person who is uncomfortable in a situation or doesn’t belong in a particular environment
  4. Look like a million dollars – look or feel extremely attractive
  5. Go bananas – go crazy
  6. Have a frog in smb’s throat – be unable to speak clearly until you cough
  7. Bring home the bacon – earn money to live on
  8. A penny pincher – a person who doesn’t like to spend money
  9. Not worth a red cent - worthless
  10. Hem and haw - hesitate to say smth. directly

KateCatt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hey, please, is there anybody? I'm waiting for your answers

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
People volunteer to post here- demanding responses after a couple of hours isn't a good way to get people to help you. People come in from different time zones- your day is my night.

To be honest, the questions are flawed because nobody is in a position to say whether idioms are not used in any other languages. They all sound typically English (though the money suggests different variants), and some have historical associations - negative idioms about the Dutch stem from a war - but I have come across surprising similarities in idioms in all sorts of places, so there is not a single one I can answer as I don't know enough languages to answer. The first question simply collects data that is by its nature incorrect and the second doesn't allow for any distinction between a beginner and a learner at native speaker level- my reaction would be different.

KateCatt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Sorry, I don't demand, of course no, I remember the difference in time. This is the first time when I have to visit such forum and discuss this topic with the native speakers, so I'm just excited. Thanks very much for your answer, it's very-very important for me and for my research

J

J&K Tutoring

I am from the midwestern USA, and have used all of the idioms mentioned. I agree with Tdol that perhaps all cultures will have some similar or perhaps the same idioms with slight variations.

Status
Not open for further replies.