Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The Milky Way galaxy consists of approximately 140 star clusters, the exact number of which is unknown due to the dust that covers many parts of the galaxy. Also found in the Milky Way galaxy is a collection of large, gaseous objects called nebulae, which are mainly made up of hydrogen and helium.

Q1) Is the underlined part inverted because the later part is so long as a subject if it is not inverted like this?:
Also a collection of large, gaseous objects called nebulae, which are mainly made up of hydrogen and helium is found in the Milky Way galaxy.

Q2) If my guess is correct in Q1, do you think it is easy to speak(not write) that kind of inverted sentence?(I mean, when you speak, and not when you write.)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The Milky Way galaxy consists of approximately 140 star clusters, the exact number of which is unknown due to the dust that covers many parts of the galaxy. Also found in the Milky Way galaxy is a collection of large, gaseous objects called nebulae, which are mainly made up of hydrogen and helium.

Q1) Is the underlined part inverted because the later part is so long as a subject if it is not inverted it sounds like this?:
Also a collection of large, gaseous objects called nebulae, which are mainly made up of hydrogen and helium is found in the Milky Way galaxy.
Probably that was the author's intention.

Q2) If my guess is correct in Q1, do you think it is easy to speak(not write) that kind of inverted sentence?(I mean, when you speak, and not when you write.)
It's as easy as pie to a native speaker (of average or higher intelligence). It's also possible that many people who could do this don't do it.

moon7296

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi,
Thank you for the answer.
You mean it's easy to native speakers and some of them don't use that structure because...... because what?
Is that structure usually preferred in writing?
I think when the subect part is too long like the one in my question, that structure(inversion) is often used, isn't it?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,
Thank you for the answer.
You mean it's easy to native speakers and some of them don't use that structure because...... because what?
A whole range of possible factors. Some people don't like to use language that deviates too much from the norm of their own social group.

Is that structure usually preferred in writing?
Yes, in speech, people tend not to make such long completely grammatical sentences, and the longer the sentence you try to make in speech, the less likely it is to be completely grammatical, because unlike in writing, you cannot revise your sentence.

I think when the subect part is too long like the one in my question, that structure(inversion) is often used, isn't it?
Yes, that's a good question. We hadn't established that. You asked whether form A was used to prevent using form B, and I agreed. But neither of us suggested what was wrong with form B.

moon7296

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
You said this: Yes, that's a good question. We hadn't established that. You asked whether form A was used to prevent using form B, and I agreed. But neither of us suggested what was wrong with form B.

Does it happen to be the answer to my other question "It seems/ Everyone seems (raising VS extraposition)?"

It looks like you mistakenly put that in this thread.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You said this: Yes, that's a good question. We hadn't established that. You asked whether form A was used to prevent using form B, and I agreed. But neither of us suggested what was wrong with form B.

Does it happen to be the answer to my other question "It seems/ Everyone seems (raising VS extraposition)?"

It looks like you mistakenly put that in this thread.
No, it's an answer to the last question in the post I quoted, from this thread: "
I think when the subect part is too long like the one in my question, that structure(inversion) is often used, isn't it?"

Status
Not open for further replies.