Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,
I often come across these words indicating a person with magical power when I read English novels, see English movies or playing Wow. But I find it really hard to distinguish them.
I kinda feel a "wizard" is someone with the power of light and fire; a "magician" is a person who plays card tricks or "rabbit in a hat" tricks in front of the audience; a "warlock" is someone manipulates dark power; and a "sorcerer" is a person who can make magical potion.;-)
Is my interpretation right? Thank you in advance!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Use a dictionary. Usages differ widely, and games like WoW may have their own definitions. Other communities impose other definitions. Readers of Haryy Potter, for example, will have very precise definitions that are at odds with those of WoW. Phrases such as 'the power of light and fire' sound to me as though they come from something like WoW (which, for the many who won't know, is an online role-playing game called World of Warcraft).

Generally, a 'magician' is the same as a conjuror: that is a word that has a real-world use - there are people who earn their living as magicians: the word is on their passports; they are entertainers of a particular kind. The other words all mean whatever they mean to whoever uses them, in the contexts where they are used: for example, a Druid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia may have particular meanings for some of these other terms that are meaningful only to other druids.

b

caronmi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you! I really appreciate your help. Native speakers' opinion really means a lot to me. I will look them up in a dictionary more carefully.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
there are people who earn their living as magicians: the word is on their passports

What does this mean? You have your profession listed on the passport issued from the UK government?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What does this mean? You have your profession listed on the passport issued from the UK government?
Profession or occupation - I'm not sure which. (And although it's 'issued by the UK government' , it's just another EU passport :-( ;-) )

b

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Profession or occupation - I'm not sure which. (And although it's 'issued by the UK government' , it's just another EU passport :-( ;-) )

b

Does that mean if you go from engineering into management you have to get your passport amended? That seems awfully unnecessary to me.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
My current passport, issued in 2007, doesn't show my occupation. I'm pretty sure the previous one didn't either but I think that at one time it might have done. Both my last two passports were issued by British Embassies in other countries, but I don't think that makes any difference.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Does that mean if you go from engineering into management you have to get your passport amended? That seems awfully unnecessary to me.
No, you don't. And, as far as I know, nobody checks up that what you have declared as your profession is accurate - though if you put something that was obviously untrue, such as 'Archbishop of Canterbury' or 'Presidenet of the USA', it would probably not be accepted.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My current passport, issued in 2007, doesn't show my occupation. I
Well I never! Mine doesn't, either. I hadn't noticed that they'd dropped that.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's not policed; and maybe the EU passport doesn't do it any more. But my old blue UK one called me a 'writer'. A previous one called me a 'student' - which was true for only about a fifth of the time the passport was valid!

b

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well I never! Mine doesn't, either. I hadn't noticed that they'd dropped that.

Like meat by the pound, it must have been "harmonized" out of existence.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

caronmi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Wow, another topic concerns me has arisen. I am going to have a passport but I've just quit my job.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.