Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
P****ed is a swear word, while not considered as rude as some others, you shouldn't say that here.

And it would be "mad at you". Mad on you is nonsense.

[Not a teacher]

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In fact, 'mad on you' is not nonsense. It just has a totally different (+ve) sense.

b

PS And I'm not sure I'd call 'p*ssed a 'swear word', although it's certainly a vulgar one - best avoided, if only because it's seriously ambiguous. 'He is p*ssed' means 'He is angry' in Am Eng, and 'He is drunk' in Br Eng. The commonness of Am E speech on TV/film/video is making the American sense more common even over here, so that there is no longer a clear distinction between the two - more scope for ambiguity.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'...madly in love with you.'

Also 'mad about you' means the same.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Mad with you" means the same as "mad at you".

There is another BrE vs AmE difference here. 5jj explained the difference with "p*ssed", but "mad" has two different meanings. In AmE it means "angry" and in BrE it means "crazy". The American usage of "mad" is certainly used in the UK but to someone who doesn't know that meaning, "I'm mad at you" would make no sense because they would hear "I'm crazy at you".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Mad with you" means the same as "mad at you".

There is another BrE vs AmE difference here. 5jj explained the difference with "p*ssed", but "mad" has two different meanings. In AmE it means "angry" and in BrE it means "crazy". The American usage of "mad" is certainly used in the UK but to someone who doesn't know that meaning, "I'm mad at you" would make no sense because they would hear "I'm crazy at you".

That's so, but we can usually work out what it means from the context - particularly in idioms; even speakers of Br Eng know sports coaches who say 'Don't get mad get even'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.