Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What did the writer mean by "That was all Tasmika needed to hear"? Was there something she shouldn't have heard or some other meaning? I don't get it.

ex)We met Tasmika one afternoon when we were visiting Tanya and her son, Victor. Tasmika was playing with Victor. She was a small child with quick dark eyes and long braids of hair that reached her waist. There was nothing shy about Tamiska. She was happy and cheerful. She smiled and tossed her braids as she talked, and she seemed to fill the room with her liveliness.
Tanya told us that Tasmika lived on the next street with her mother and father. She added with a smile that Tasmika was also in first grade and that she was a good reader. That was all Tasmika needed to hear. She had come straight from school, and she had her book bag with her. She opened it up, took out a book, and flipped through the pages.

st85

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What did the writer mean by "That was all Tasmika needed to hear"? Was there something she shouldn't have heard or some other meaning? I don't get it.

ex)We met Tasmika one afternoon when we were visiting Tanya and her son, Victor. Tasmika was playing with Victor. She was a small child with quick dark eyes and long braids of hair that reached her waist...Tanya told us that Tasmika lived on the next street with her mother and father. She added with a smile that Tasmika was also in first grade and that she was a good reader. That was all Tasmika needed to hear. She had come straight school, and she had her book back with her. She opened it up, took out a book, and flipped throught the pages.

st85

It simply means that Tasmika did not need to hear any more information about Victor, other than the fact that he was in first grade and was a good reader before deciding to get a book out. At the point that she heard that information, and without waiting for or needing any more information, she immediately got a book from her bag (I think it should say "book bag" not "book back") and started to read. Having heard that Victor was a good reader, she didn't just carry on playing with him, she got a book out and started to flip through the pages.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
She had come straight from school, ...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
and "she flipped through the pages", not "throught".

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I filled in the missing parts and thanks for the mistyped words(You can imagine how much I have to type torturing my fingers, kidding!!).
For your "Having heard that Victor was a good reader", I think actually the praise "she is a good reader" is for Tamiska not for Victor, so that probably motivated her to study with books.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I filled in the missing parts and thanks for the mistyped words(You can imagine how much I have to type torturing my fingers, kidding!!).
For your "Having heard that Victor was a good reader", I think actually the praise "she is a good reader" is for Tamiska not for Victor, so that probably motivated her to study with books.

Sorry, I misread the original and assumed that Tanya was talking about Victor as he is her son. You're right. When Tasmika heard Tanya saying aloud that she (Tasmika) was a good reader, that prompted her to get out her book and start reading. The meaning of "that was all she needed to hear" is still the same though. She didn't need to wait for any more motivation or for Tanya to say anything else about her, just that she was a good reader. That was enough to make her get out her books.

I'll read more carefully next time!

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
That's okay, you are still a good teacher for me. You've given me countless valuable answers, and only one mistake is nothing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's okay, you are still a good teacher for me. You've given me countless valuable answers, and only one mistake is nothing.

If only it were just one mistake! You should see how many of my own answers I have to go back and edit! :roll:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What do you mean by "quick dark eyes"? I have never heard of "quick eyes"? Does "quick" mean glittering or calm eyes?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It means she looked alert.

Status