[General] Difference between " have / get / find / land / take " a job ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tramper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Dear Teachers and users.

I was just wondering, if there are any differences between them.

" have / get / find / land / take a job."

Does these all have an exactly same meaning?

if there's any differences, could you explain for me?

Thank you so much for your help in advance ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear Teachers and users.

I was just wondering, if there are any differences between them.

" have / get / find / land / take a job."

Does these all have an exactly same meaning?

if there's any differences, could you explain for me?

Thank you so much for your help in advance ;-)

No, they don't have exactly the same meaning. Posting a list of words and then asking if they mean the same doesn't really work on this forum. Please use each word in a sentence so that we can see how you are using them or how you want to use them and then we can comment.

Tramper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
No, they don't have exactly the same meaning. Posting a list of words and then asking if they mean the same doesn't really work on this forum. Please use each word in a sentence so that we can see how you are using them or how you want to use them and then we can comment.

Hello, emsr2d2.

Thanks for the comment.

I tried to make some sentences that just changed verbs in each sentence to see if there's any difference.

What I made are

1. I have a job as a scientist.
2. I got a job as a scientist.
3. I found a job as a scientist.
4. I landed a job as a scientist.
5. I took a job as a scientist.

Does all show the fact that I HAVE a job right now?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, emsr2d2.

Thanks for the comment.

I tried to make some sentences that just changed verbs in each sentence to see if there's any difference.

What I made are

1. I have a job as a scientist.
2. I got a job as a scientist.
3. I found a job as a scientist.
4. I landed a job as a scientist.
5. I took a job as a scientist.

Does all show the fact that I HAVE a job right now?

#1 shows that you are currently working as a scientist.
#2 shows that at some point in time you were offered the position of scientist, but it does not necessarily mean that you have that job now.
#3 shows that you have found an advert for a job as a scientist, or that you had been job-hunting and then found, applied for and got a job as a scientist.
#4 is like #2. At some point in the past, you were offered the position of scientist. It's not possible to tell if you have that job or any other job now.
#5 is the same as 2 and 4. At some point in the past, you accepted the offer of a job as a scientist. Again, we have no idea if you currently have a job.

Really, the only way to be sure that your reader/listener knows that you are currently employed as a scientist is to say "I work as a scientist", "I currently have a job as a scientist", "My current job title is scientist" or something similar.

The issue is not necessarily with the verbs that you use, but with the tense.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Do[STRIKE]es[/STRIKE] all show the fact that I HAVE a job right now?
Only the first shows this clearly. All the others say that you obtained a job in the past. You may or may not still have it.

ps. Too late. ems beat me to it.

Last edited:

Tramper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
#1 shows that you are currently working as a scientist.
#2 shows that at some point in time you were offered the position of scientist, but it does not necessarily mean that you have that job now.
#3 shows that you have found an advert for a job as a scientist, or that you had been job-hunting and then found, applied for and got a job as a scientist.
#4 is like #2. At some point in the past, you were offered the position of scientist. It's not possible to tell if you have that job or any other job now.
#5 is the same as 2 and 4. At some point in the past, you accepted the offer of a job as a scientist. Again, we have no idea if you currently have a job.

Really, the only way to be sure that your reader/listener knows that you are currently employed as a scientist is to say "I work as a scientist", "I currently have a job as a scientist", "My current job title is scientist" or something similar.

The issue is not necessarily with the verbs that you use, but with the tense.

Thank you so much, emsr2d2 and 5jj !!

Thanks to both of you, I am now clearly able to get the differences between them. it makes me feel so relieved ! I had searched informations about it to figure out the differences, but I couldn't get it straight until you both gave me clear explanations. Thanks again !!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you so much, emsr2d2 and 5jj!

Thanks to both of you, I am now clearly able to get the differences between them. it makes me feel so relieved! I had searched informations about it to figure out the differences, but I couldn't get it straight until you both gave me clear explanations. Thanks again!

You're welcome.

By the way, (and I'm going to have to point out that this is the fourth time today that I've had to post the same advice), we do not put a space before a punctuation mark at the end of a sentence. The full stop, question mark or exclamation mark go directly after the final letter of the final word of a sentence. Also, one exclamation mark is sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.