SIMPLE PAST AND PAST PERFECT TENSE WITH BEFORE/AFTER...

Status
Not open for further replies.

aysaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello,

ENGLISH PAGE - Past Perfect

1) She had never seen a bear before she moved to Alaska. (IT'S OK)
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]2) She never saw a bear before she moved to Alaska.

The page says that the second sentence is not correct, but my opinion is the second is correct, too. We can use past perf. or not. Is that right?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I agree with what is written in these two paragraphs from that page:

"If the Past Perfect action did occur at a specific time, the Simple Past can be used instead of the Past Perfect when "before" or "after" is used in the sentence. The words "before" and "after" actually tell you what happens first, so the Past Perfect is optional. For this reason, both sentences below are correct.
Examples:

• She had visited her Japanese relatives once in 1993 before she moved in with them in 1996.
  • She visited her Japanese relatives once in 1993 before she moved in with them in 1996.

HOWEVER

If the Past Perfect is not referring to an action at a specific time, Past Perfect is not optional. Compare the examples below. Here Past Perfect is referring to a lack of experience rather than an action at a specific time. For this reason, Simple Past cannot be used.
Examples:

• She never saw a bear before she moved to Alaska. Not Correct
  • She had never seen a bear before she moved to Alaska. Correct"

You will hear some people use the past simple in cases like that, but the past perfect is better, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.