Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does "it" and "that" each mean? "that" seems to mean "coffee itself" in the previous sentence, and "it" seems to mean the whole previous sentence. Can "it" substitute a sentence? I feel the distinction between "it" and "that" is quite ambiguous here.

ex)For many people, a cup of coffee in the morning is part of their daily routine. If they don't have it, the rest of their day feels incomplete. Obviously, part of what makes a cup of morning coffee so enjoyable is the coffee itself. But apparently there is more to it than that. In a study, researchers had people drink a cup of coffee in their favorite mug...most people enjoyed it more when they drank it from their favorite mug....

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
As I know, "it" usually refers to previously mentioned nouns, so I wonder how it can refer to a clause like "what makes a cup of morning coffee so enjoyable .".

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Obviously, part of what makes a cup of morning coffee so enjoyable is the coffee itself. But apparently there is more to it than that.

there is…
more to it = more to the matter of "what makes a cup of morning coffee so enjoyable".
than that = than the explanation given here i.e. "the coffee itself".

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.