Hi,

I have a question regarding the following exercise:

Choose the letter which does not have the same grammatical function:

"They took off their coats and went to the table near the window"

A. off
B. to
C. near

The answer is A. off.

I do not understand why. "to" and "near" are prepositions in the sentence above, I believe, but I also thought "off" is a preposition.

Anyone could help me please?

Thanks,

Bluesea

Raharu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[Not a Teacher]

Off is a preposition, but it is also an adverb and an adjective.

In that sentence, "off" is being used as an adverb by modifying the verb "took".

bluesea1971

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I seriously have my doubts that "off" can be an adjective.

And phrasal verbs can be formed by a verb + preposition, verb + adverb or verb + adverb + preposition.

Thanks for answering but the explanation given does not convince me.

bluesea1971

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
In fact, after reading a book called "Practical English Usage" I have the following:

In the examples: "I ran down the road", "He is in his office" and "something is climbing up my leg", the words down, in and up are prepositions because they have objects (the road, his office and my leg).

However, in the examples: "Please, sit down", "You can go in" and "She is not up yet", the words down, in and up are adverbs. They have no objects.

In the example I gave in my original post: "They took off their coats", it looks to me that "off" should be a preposition.

Bluesea

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
n the example I gave in my original post: "They took off their coats", it looks to me that "off" should be a preposition.
No. In 'They took their coats off the peg', it functions as a preposition. In 'They took off their coats / They took their coats off', it functions as an adverb or, as some prefer, a particle.

In 'The milk is off (=sour)', it functions as an adjective.

bluesea1971

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thanks, that is quite clear but why in "I ran down the road", is down a preposition (according to the book)?
Isn't it the same case as "they took off their coats"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No. They didn't take their coats off anything, and they didn't take anything off their coats.

Raharu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it's because prepositions introduce some sort of object (and I'm not sure that is always the case). If you say, "I ran," that is a sentence, but if you want to say that you ran down a road, you need to introduce the road with the preposition "down". In, "I took off my coat" the word "off" is not introducing my coat.

Honestly, I'm not sure. It just feels like it is modifying the verb opposed to introducing an object. I could probably use a little clarification myself. I'm making an assumption that prepositions always introduce objects, and I not sure of myself on that one.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

To me 'off' functions as part of the phrasal verb "to take off" meaning "to remove".
"They took off their coats" = "They took their coats off". It's a separable phrasal verb. If it were a preposition you couldn't move it like that.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. They didn't take their coats off anything, and they didn't take anything off their coats.

Don't they take their coats off of their bodies?

Finicky

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Hi,

A. off
B. to
C. near

The answer is A. off.

I do not understand why. "to" and "near" are prepositions in the sentence above, I believe, but I also thought "off" is a preposition.

Near is a prep, right. Try to draw a parallel with a similar sentence.

They took off their coats and went to the table near the window.
They took off their coats and went to the table at the window.

Definition for preposition: A word that usually comes before a noun or a pronoun and shows its relation to another part of the sentence.

The table and the window - 'near' shows the relation and is used before 'the window'.

Why is that off is something else? Behaves differenty from near, that is why. How? In what way? Show me! Okay, I will! For the sake of simplicity, I will curtail the sentence and leave the part that is of concern to us.

They took off their coats.
They took their coats off.
They took it off.
*They took off it. :cross: (separable optional phrasal verb)

the table at the window
*[STRIKE]the table the window at[/STRIKE]

They took off their coats.
They removed their coats.

Off is part of a complex verb with whose head verb, take (took), it forms an idiomatic verb phrase (phrasal verb). :up:

There are several useful tests in Radford's Transformational Syntax book that you may want to learn about. Here they are:

If you can substitute other PPs (prepositional phrases) and get aparallel meaning, it's a prepositional verb. If you get nonsense or a new idiomatic meaning, it's a phrasal verb.
If the verb component of the phrase has a more-or-less constantmeaning no matter what follows, it's a prepositional verb. If themeaning changes unpredictably, it's a phrasal verb
They took on/off/to their clothes.

In many verb plus adverb combinations in which 'off' functions as an adverb, 'on' yields a parallel meaning. If 'to' is substituted for on or off, however, there happens an abrupt change meaningwise. Took to means to form a liking to something.

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]If the range of complements that goes with the verb phrase is similar with different prepositions, it's a prepositional verb. If the complements that make sense with the verb phrase change when you change the particle, it's a phrasal verb.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]They take on new staff/ unemployed people.
[/FONT]They take off their clothes/hats, trousers. -- verb + adverb[FONT=arial, sans-serif]

[/FONT]If you can move the whole structure that looks like a PP to the front of the sentence. prepositional verb it is. Otherwise, you have a verb plus adverb combination.
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
On the bus the passengers would get.
*[STRIKE]Off their customers they put. [/STRIKE]

[/FONT]If you can use the prepositional phrase as a fragment in the answer to a question, it's a prepositional verb; else, it's a phrasal verb.
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
Did they get off a bus?
No, off a plane.

Did they put off the neighbors?
No, them.
* [STRIKE]No, off new customers.[/STRIKE]

[/FONT]If you can insert a verb-phrase adverb like quickly, slowly,or completely between the verb and the particle, then it's aprepositional verb; else, it's a phrasal verb[FONT=arial, sans-serif]

[/FONT]They took quickly off their coats and fell quickly near the window.
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT] If you can omit the verb, keeping the particle, in anelliptical construction, it's a prepositional verb; else it's a verb plus adverb combo.

*[STRIKE]They took off their coats and off their shirts.[/STRIKE] -- adverb
They got off the bus and on the plane. -- prepo

*[STRIKE]They took off their coats and us off our shirts.[/STRIKE]
They got off the bus and us on the plane.

7. If you can place a pronomial after the particle, you have a prep phrase; else a verb plus adverb.

*[STRIKE]They took off it.[/STRIKE]
They get off the bus/it.

They take their coats off of their bodies?

off = adv
of = prep.

Finicky

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
They took off their coats and went to the table
at
the window. :tick:
They took off their coats and went to the table
by
the window. :tick:

;-)

After you brought this up I noticed that it should be a double "off" hence:
take off
off their bodies

Even worse than
"off of", which is at least informally acceptable for some speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.