Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
Could you kindly check if my interpretations of these colloquial expressions are correct? Thanks

1) Do you see your way clear to lend me five dollars [someone said it's very London? The bit 'do you see your way clear to' simply means 'could you'? It has a pragmatic function of politeness / face-saving rather than really seeing clearly where you're heading...] Is that right?

2) coffee fix: I don't have a liking for coffee at all but I guess it refers to those who drink coffee regularly and a fix is when coffee helps them to calm down/feel better? Is that like when you have to take a cigarette because you are addicted to it?
Do we say cigarette urge? cigarette fix?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1 Yes, you're right, but I would say to lending.
2 Fix is a term associated with drugs- you get a fix of an addictive drug. People talking about their coffee/caffeine fix, meaning the effect it has on them. When people try to stop smoking and want a cigarette, that's normally called a craving. A smoker could say they were going outside to get their nicotine/tobacco fix. Cigarette fix sounds a bit odd to me as I'd use fix with the substance/drug. In the UK, you'll hear people saying things like I'm dying/gasping for a cigarette.

Status
Not open for further replies.