• Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Red face verb form and pronunciation-posted third time

Hi: this is a third post, i was not very clear in the previous twos. i'm working on english verb conjugation, and i find a connection between pronunciation and conjugation, that is, the necessary change of the verb form before adding suffix is probably meant to meet the requirement of pronunciation, for example, if we didn't double the consonant of "p" in "drop", before adding -ed, we would lose the original pronunciation. And this rule or connection applies to some pattern of the verb forms, such as "panicking". But i'm not sure about the verb with a consonant plus "y" ending, such as "carry", "study". if we directly add -ed, or -s, does the original pronunciation would change? what would "carryed", or "carrys" be prouounced, according to your pronunciation habitude? (carryed and carrys donít exist in English, and the correct ones are carried and carries, what I mean is a hypothetical situation in order to learn more.) as you must see, i'm not a native speaker.

Thank you very much, and i'm much appreciated for the previous answers. sorry for my English; hope i'm clear this time. and have a nice day.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: verb form and pronunciation-posted third time

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Guzhao,

(1) I am not qualified to answer your question.

(2) I am replying because I thought that you would like it if I pointed out something to you.

(a) You write "I am much appreciated."

(i) May I most respectfully remind you that the meaning of "I am [very] much appreciated" =

You appreciate me very much.

(ii) I believe that you wish to say that you appreciate the help of other people.

(iii) So you might wish to say something like:

I very much appreciate your/the previous answers.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

It looks to me as if you're asking this question:

Do we change the "Y" to "I" because otherwise, we would mispronounce words such as "carried" and "carries"?

I say that it has nothing to do with that. Personally, I would pronounce "carryed" and "carrys" the same. In fact, "Carry" is also a proper noun, and if I say "Carry's here with her dog", the "Carry's" sounds just like "carries".

Hope this helps.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Guzhao,

(1) After reading Mr. Smith's post, I realized what an insightful question you had asked.

(2) I suddenly remembered that the connection between spelling and pronunciation is, indeed, an interesting matter.

(a) For example, please say out loud this word: helped. (It sounds like "helpt." Right?) Well, actually hundreds of years

ago, it was pronounced like "hel-pud." But then the English people decided to stop pronouncing it that way, and they even

started to write it as help'd. Today, we spell it as "helped," but we still pronounce it as "helpt."

(b) To make matters more confusing, sometimes we have a choice:

(i) We usually pronounce "beloved" as "bi-luvd," but sometimes -- to show greater affection -- we pronounce it as

"bi-luv-id." As: My beloved mother died in 1999.

Sources:

"Changes in the Language since Shakespeare's Time," from The Cambridge History of English and American Literature. (Online)

Bill Bryson, The Mother Tongue (1990).

Oxford American Dictionary (1980).