Question Help me!

I can’t understand the red words ,could you help me ?
    1. As the senior pediatric resident, I met with Immy's parents before the surgery to do an intake interview and summarize Immy's long story. They were committed and ready and very pale. As we spoke, they sat close together holding hands. Afterward, I took them with me to the children's ward to examine Immy. She greeted us with her take-no-prisoners smile.
    2. Immy spent the next day or two undergoing tests.
    3. 3.He gave me a cynical smile. "Well, to each his own," he said. "I put my faith in Dr. X," he said.

4.A young man, a student in one of our universities, was one day taking a walk with a professor, who was commonly called the student's friend, from his kindness to those who waited on his instructions.

Red face Re: Help me!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Lau
    I canít understand the red words ,could you help me ?
    1. As the senior pediatric resident, I met with Immy's parents before the surgery to do an intake interview and summarize Immy's long story. They were committed and ready and very pale. As we spoke, they sat close together holding hands. Afterward, I took them with me to the children's ward to examine Immy. She greeted us with her take-no-prisoners smile.
    2. Immy spent the next day or two undergoing tests.
    3. 3.He gave me a cynical smile. "Well, to each his own," he said. "I put my faith in Dr. X," he said.

4.A young man, a student in one of our universities, was one day taking a walk with a professor, who was commonly called the student's friend, from his kindness to those who waited on his instructions.
    Hi Jenny,

An 'intake interview' in this case is where the doctor would ask questions about Immy's general health - is he allergic to certain drugs, has he reacted badly to anaesthetic before, etc.
    'They were committed' means that they were emotionally prepared for the surgery and any problems that might occur.
    Her 'take-no-prisoner's smile' come from an expression used in war when troops are instructed to take no prisoners - to kill everyone. Here, I think it means that she's quite an emotionally hard person, but I'm not too sure who the 'she' is, a nurse/matron or the mother.
    If you are 'undergoing tests', you are having various tests done on you - blood pressure, heart rate, etc.
    'Each to his own' basically means that we all have our own, individual, preferences.
    'From his kindness to those who waited on his instructions' means that the professor was kind to his students (those who waited on his instructions).

Hope this is of some help,
    Dippit

Re: Help me!

I really appreciate your help,Dippit.Thank you! I understand all of the sentences now.