Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
We were told go through all possible meanings of the phrasal verb "to try up". I've been trying to look up its meaning but I haven't been able to find it in the dictionary. There are 7 sentences with "try up'' in them on COCAE. Here's one of them.

" 1976 To betray a confidential source would mean to try up many future sources for many future reporters."

OR

"The visiting Vegas dancer wants beer. (Try up the road, just over the Maryland line.) A rail-thin woman buys four packs of crackers, two Go-Go Taquitos and a breakfast sandwich, then waits 20 minutes for the 2 a.m. delivery of fresh doughnuts."

What are the meanings of the phrasal verb "to try up"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
We were told go through all possible meanings of the phrasal verb "to try up". I've been trying to look up its meaning but I haven't been able to find it in the dictionary. There are 7 sentences with "try up'' in them on COCAE. Here's one of them.

" 1976 To betray a confidential source would mean to try up many future sources for many future reporters."

OR

"The visiting Vegas dancer wants beer. (Try up the road, just over the Maryland line.) A rail-thin woman buys four packs of crackers, two Go-Go Taquitos and a breakfast sandwich, then waits 20 minutes for the 2 a.m. delivery of fresh doughnuts."

What are the meanings of the phrasal verb "to try up"?
I've never heard of "try up". What does it mean?
Your first sentence doesn't make sense to me.
Your second example doesn't use it as a phrasal verb. The verb is "try". Where should I try? "Up the road", ie. "Try looking up the road."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The first may be a mistake- I am not sure, but that may mean tie up or trip up.
The second is not a phrasal verb; it is try (up the road).

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
We were told by our teacher to learn the meaning of "to try up''. I've been unable to find it in the dictionary.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
We were told by our teacher to learn the meaning of "to try up''. I've been unable to find it in the dictionary.
You could probably safely tell your teacher that it doesn't many anything. Maybe s/he came across it somewhere and doesn't know what it means either?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I would not know.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with everyone else. "To try up" is not a phrasal verb I have ever heard. In the second example, it's just "to try" followed by a statement of where the person should try [looking].

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The first one is probably a typo for "dry up."

Status