1. platonas

otherwise

I'm a voluntary translator working for the Asian/American non-profit organization of New York. English is not my first language.

I don't know what exactly "otherwise" means in the following sentences. Please let me know what exactly "otherwise" means in both sentences.

Q1) If you are already in the United States, and are otherwise eligible, you may apply to adjust your status to that of a lawful permanent resident.

Q2) If the foreign national is in the United States and otherwise eligible to adjust status, she files the I-485, several supplemental forms and supporting documents to NBC.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by platonas
    I'm a voluntary translator working for the Asian/American non-profit organization of New York. English is not my first language.

I don't know what exactly "otherwise" means in the following sentences. Please let me know what exactly "otherwise" means in both sentences.

Q1) If you are already in the United States, and are otherwise eligible, you may apply to adjust your status to that of a lawful permanent resident.

Q2) If the foreign national is in the United States and otherwise eligible to adjust status, she files the I-485, several supplemental forms and supporting documents to NBC.
    It means that there are two conditions- being in the US & being eligible on some other grounds. If you had the second eligibility but were not in the US, it wouldn't apply. Also, being in the US is not enough.