• Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

to economise

Dear teachers

Is 'to economise' common where you live? Today was actually the first time I had seen it. To my understanding, one of the verbs what could replace it (and most common) would be 'save [up]'. Some may prefer the 'ize' version.

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: to economise

If you economise, you cut down on your spending; you may not necessarily be saving (up).

When I retired, I had to economise; even after economising, I was unable to save (up) at all.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: to economise

To economize is to make economies. People who mean that often use it. You can 'save up' without economizing - just save a certain amount from every pay cheque (although people who are saving up often [I]do[// make economies, so that can save more).

Colloquial synonyms of 'economize' are 'go short', 'go without [no object necessary]' 'cut corners'.... There are quite informal compound words: 'belt-tightening', 'cheese-paring' [with implied disapproval]...

In the news now there is the word 'haircut', which has a very specific meaning in the context of sovereign debt.

There is also the collocation 'scrimp and save'. This was, I think, becoming archaic - or at least, favoured by the older generation; but it got a new lease of life when Lennon & McCartney used it in 'When I'm 64'.

b