Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Dear teachers

Is 'to economise' common where you live? Today was actually the first time I had seen it. To my understanding, one of the verbs what could replace it (and most common) would be 'save [up]'. Some may prefer the 'ize' version.

Thank you

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you economise, you cut down on your spending; you may not necessarily be saving (up).

When I retired, I had to economise; even after economising, I was unable to save (up) at all.:cry:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To economize is to make economies. People who mean that often use it. You can 'save up' without economizing - just save a certain amount from every pay cheque (although people who are saving up often do[// make economies, so that can save more).

Colloquial synonyms of 'economize' are 'go short', 'go without [no object necessary]' 'cut corners'.... There are quite informal compound words: 'belt-tightening', 'cheese-paring' [with implied disapproval]...

In the news now there is the word 'haircut', which has a very specific meaning in the context of sovereign debt.

There is also the collocation 'scrimp and save'. This was, I think, becoming archaic - or at least, favoured by the older generation; but it got a new lease of life when Lennon & McCartney used it in 'When I'm 64'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.