Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi there

I'm wondering if it is absolutely necessary to include a comma between "magazines" and "and".

"She wrote articles for newsletters, magazines and local and national newspapers."

I don't think it's necessary to include a comma, but I'm not the expert!

Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is necessary.

Dominoes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thanks for your response. Why is it necessary? Isn't the meaning clear without including a comma? I thought a comma wasn't necessary if the meaning was clear. I know a comma is needed in the sentence below to avoid ambiguity, but I didn't think the sentence I wrote was ambiguous.

"Men, women, and children with medical certificates can apply." (only children need medical certificates)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Why is it necessary? Isn't the meaning clear without including a comma? I thought a comma wasn't necessary if the meaning was clear. I know a comma is needed in the sentence below to avoid ambiguity, but I didn't think the sentence I wrote was ambiguous.

"Men, women, and children with medical certificates can apply." (only children need medical certificates)
If there were no comma in your original sentence, people could read 'newsletters magazines' as one item.

Your second example, above, is ambiguous however you punctuate it. The only way to avoid potential ambiguity is to rephrase it completely:

Only people with medical cerificates can apply(, whether men, women or children).
Only children with medical certificates and adults can apply.

Dominoes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If there were no comma in your original sentence, people could read 'newsletters magazines' as one item.

Hi there

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I meant do I have to include a comma between the word "magazines" and the word "and". I know I need to include a comma between "newsletters" and "magazines"

Thanks

alexdanny

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania

But the question was whether or not there should be a comma between magazines and and, not between newsletters and magazines. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The sentence would then be:

She wrote articles for newsletters, magazines, and local and national newspapers.

Though this sounds a little awkward and you should rephrase it to:

She wrote articles for newsletters, magazines, as well as local and national newspapers.

Secondly, you cannot read newsletters magazines as a whole as the proper term would be newsletter magazines, wouldn't it?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But the question was whether or not there should be a comma between magazines and and, not between newsletters and magazines. Correct me if I'm wrong.
My apologies. I misread the original question.
She wrote articles for newsletters, magazines, and local and national newspapers.

Though this sounds a little awkward and you should rephrase it to:

She wrote articles for newsletters, magazines, as well as local and national newspapers.
The original sentence is fine. Yours would be better with 'and', and no comma, after 'newsletters'.

Dominoes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
My apologies. I misread the original question. The original sentence is fine. Yours would be better with 'and', and no comma, after 'newsletters'.

No worries. Thanks for letting me know that the original sentence is fine. :)

alexdanny, thanks for your suggestion :)

Dominoes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thanks for the link, Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.