Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
As a nurse, she gives service to the patients in the Central Hospital.
1) Is the underlined part correct and meaningful?
2) Do you think that the underlined part can imply a bad meaning (e.g. she gives sexual pleasure to ...)?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As a nurse, she gives service to the patients in the Central Hospital.
1) Is the underlined part correct and meaningful?
2) Do you think that the underlined part can imply a bad meaning (e.g. she gives sexual pleasure to ...)?

I wouldn't say that "giving service" was part of a nurse's job. A nurse "treats", "attends to", "ministers to", "looks after" patients.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks, but I would like to know "give service to someone" can have a negative meaning or not? Because sometimes we (Iranian people) use it and I want to be careful in using it. I would like not to use it if it is problematic.

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can understand your confusion. We talk about "the service" given by a business, or when someone "gives good service."

The waiter gave us good service last night.

The service at the tire store was not good

You will just have to be more aware of the context. A nurse would not "serve" her patients.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is a problem with the phrasing in its entirety.

We definitely use service as susie's example show, but you would NOT use the phrasing "The waiter gave service to us" or "The person at the counter gave service to us."

"She serviced him" does have a sexual meaning and you should avoid that combination, but you should avoid your suggested "gave service to" as well. It's an unnatural way to express the idea.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks, but I would like to know "give service to someone" can have a negative meaning or not? Because sometimes we (Iranian people) use it and I want to be careful in using it. I would like not to use it if it is problematic.

[AmE - not a teacher]

Just about any phrase can have a postitive or negative meaning, depending on its context. I would say that without context, "give service to someone" is rather neutral. Also, this phrase can be used, but I think you'll more often hear "services".

The employee services the customer.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

"Give service to someone" doesn't really have negative connotations, at least not to my ear, but it also doesn't sound very natural either. emsr2d2 gave some much better alternatives for this specific context (a nurse). Perhaps a more natural alternative would be "provide a service to/for someone".

"As a nurse, she provides a service to her patients." sounds better than your original sentence, but I would still use something more specific if I could.

What would have negative connotations of the type you are trying to avoid would be "to service someone". This should be avoided, as it implies a paid-for sexual act.

Status
Not open for further replies.