Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Certainly. I always [STRIKE]see[/STRIKE] find your replies completely satisfying.

Your post which I quoted has an informal way of asking a question. I remember seeing a thread related to it a few days ago. Can that way of asking a question used in written English? By the way, what is the meaning of wink?(smiley that you have used).

My question construction is one which I generally only use on this forum if I think that the reader (the OP) has a good enough grasp of English to understand it. The fact that you not only understood it, but also noticed that it is not the "standard" formal construction shows me that I was right.

It would probably be described as non-standard. It's just an informal, quick way of asking a question, by writing a statement but putting a question mark at the end. I don't recommend that learners use it though. Even when used correctly, you might find it being corrected by teachers/native speakers who think that you've done it accidentally.

The reason I added a wink was because I actually thought that my questions might be taken as a little abrupt, as if I were impatiently checking with you that you had finally grasped my answers. That isn't how I intended them to be read so, to indicate that, I added a smiley. The wink wasn't particularly relevant, I just wanted a smiley.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think all are capable of being used in a pejorative sense or in a joking, self-deprecating sense, so as in all things, context is key.

All my friends refer to me as a movie whore, and I wear that with pride.

Status
Not open for further replies.