“due to the fact that”

The following site says “due to the fact that” is clumsy and wordy.
    http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/dueto.html

Could you tell me the better way to say the following sentence?

This is considered to be due to the fact that because measurement was performed immediately after harvesting in our experiments.

How about “This is considered to be because measurement was performed...?”

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: “due to the fact that”

“This is considered to be because measurement was performed...?”- sounds better

Thank you very much!

Hey,

and what about "due to the fact that" in the beginning of the sentence? Is it as clumsy? I often use it in sentences like:

Due to the fact that the project team has failed to achieve the deadline, the implementation schedule has to bу adjusted.

Is it ok here, or are there better ways of saying the same?

Thanks!

Hi there Curious Cat, try this:
    "The implementation schedule has to be adjusted because the project team failed to achieve the deadline."

As far as I know, "due to the fact that" and "because" are interchangeable except that "because" is a little bit more informal just as "in spite of the fact that" and "although" can be used in place of each other. Or am I wrong?

Smile Re: “due to the fact that”

Hi mehmetcalimli
    I would say that the word "because" in this situation is slightly less formal, just as you said. I would use the word "due to the fact that" if writing a formal letter, or maybe if speaking to a group of people. I could have also written Curious Cat`s sentence like this:

"The implementation schedule has to be adjusted due to the fact that the project team failed to achieve the deadline".

I should have told Curious Cat that the sentence he/she wrote is just fine (except for the incorrect spelling of "be"), I simply wanted to show a less cumbersome way of writing or saying it.

Since I`m not a teacher, I can`t really give you a "technical" explanation as to whether "although" & "in spite of the fact" are 100% interchangeable. They can be used in place of one another often, for sure, if you rearrange your sentences just a bit to put each one in their "proper" place.

Thank you, friends.

Re-wording in a simpler way is not a problem, I was just wondering if the structure "due to the fact that" could be used in cases like I described. Since I deal a lot with cumbersome formal writing I need to have a clear idea of heavy phrases like that in my mind :)

Thanks again to Hayseed and mehmetcalimli.

CC

Hi there,

I guess Due to the fact that and Because can be used in similar way except Due to the fact that is a bit more formal. The more words you use the more formal your writing/speaking style will be.

Thanks.