• Native Language:
      • Swahili
      • Home Country:
      • Congo
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Are these sentences natural? March 6

Hi,

Are the following sentences natural to a native ear?

1. I called / have called Joe a couple of times this morning but got/have got his voicemail.

2. Could you please tell us whether your report has or has not an outlook section?

3. As it is a large purchase and the assumption about the closing time of the purchase can materially change our monthly budget estimates, we preferred not to include the purchase in our model until there was more clarity on the timing.

Thanks,
    MG

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Are these sentences natural? March 6

Quote Originally Posted by musicgold View Post
    Hi,

Are the following sentences natural to a native ear?

1. I called / have called Joe a couple of times this morning but got/have got his voicemail. The American version would be "have gotten" but either the present perfect (assuming it's still morning) or the simple past work. If it's already the afternoon, then only the simple past works.

2. Could you please tell us whether your report has or has not an outlook section? I don't understand this one. But "has or has not" is not natural. Try "has or doesn't have a..." or "has a ... or not." Also, you're asking an indirect question, so don't use a question mark. (Opinions on this last part will vary.)

3. As it is a large purchase and the assumption about the closing time of the purchase can materially change our monthly budget estimates, we preferred not to include the purchase in our model until there was more clarity on the timing. The tense seems off to me. The purchase is still in the future, but while the clarity exists now, but it didn't when you created the model? That's how it reads. Is that right? If there is clarity now, then you can change it to "it will be a large purchase" since it's now clear that the purchase will continue.

Thanks,
    MG
    There are probably a few ways you can mix the tenses in the third one.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Swahili
      • Home Country:
      • Congo
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Thanks Barb_D.

How about these variations of #2.

2b. Could you please tell us whether or not your report has an outlook section?

2c. Could you please tell us whether your report has or does not have an outlook section?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by musicgold View Post
    Thanks Barb_D.

How about these variations of #2.

2b. Could you please tell us whether or not your report has an outlook section?

2c. Could you please tell us whether your report has or does not have an outlook section?
    Those are fine. With 2C, you can sound critical. You expected it to have it, you told the author to include it, yet your first glance makes it appear that it's missing. You could be more neutral and say "Does your report include an 'outlook' section?"
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.