English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Dear teachers and native speakers,

In the following paragraph why past perfect has been used in the last sentence? All the sentences are in simple past, so shouldn't the last sentence be in the simple past as well? For me as a nonnative it seems better to use simple past, but I would be grateful if you provide a good answer for me.

"When he found out he was going to receive a $2 million payout in the lottery, he immediately gave up work, lent money to all his friends, whether or not they would be able to pay it back, and went out on a wild spending spree. Within months he had huge credit card debts and no money left to pay them. A year later, he had taken a job as a sales clerk to try to make ends meet."

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A year later, he had taken a job as a sales clerk to try to make ends meet."

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) I think that I understand the problem.

(2) There is a big difference between "A year later, he took a job" and "A year later, he had [already] taken a job."

(a) If you use the past, it means that he won the lottery in, say, January, 2011, and in January, 2012, he then took a job

as a sales clerk (Americans prefer "sales associate." It sounds more elegant!).

(b) If you use the past perfect, it means that he won in January, 2011, but in January, 2012, we find him already working

as a sales associate. (Who knows? Maybe he ran out of lottery winnings in November, 2011, and started working as a sales

associate in that month.)

sumon.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Maybe he ran out of lottery winnings in November, 2011, and started working as a sales
associate in that month.

But there "A year later" mentioned clearly?

Great explanation.
But I still don't understand it. :roll:​

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But I still don't understand it. :roll:
Re-read TheParser's explanation carefully. I can't make it clearer than that.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Great explanation.
But I still don't understand it. :roll:​

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Since you do not understand it, that means my explanation is NOT great.

"A year later, he had [already] become a sales associate." That sentence seems to confuse you.

You will remember that the past perfect refers to something that happened before something else happened:

"He had studied English before he came to the United States." Well, he came to the States in 2008. So that means he

must have studied English before 2008.

That guy won the lottery in January, 2011. A year later (January, 2012), someone knocked on his door. When he opened the

door, the lottery winner looked very sad. When asked what the problem was, the lottery winner said:

"Well, by November, 2011, all of my lottery money was gone. So I had to get a job as a sales associate. Nobody knew my

secret until you knocked on my door exactly one year after my having won the lottery."

If you still do not understand, please let us know. I am sure that someone else can do a better job in

explaining the matter.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

If you still do not understand, please let us know. I am sure that someone else can do a better job in explaining the matter.
Don't put yourself down. Your explanation was fine.

sumon.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
:-(. No, probably I meant my brain was dull. Your explanation was awesome.

haseli22

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Dear Parser,
Can the following interpretation be correct regarding the use of past perfect in the above paragraph?
While simple past would work simply to narrate events, I suspect that the author chose the past perfect tense (normally used to describe an action begun/completed before another action) to suggest that the clerk job was temporary in nature, and that he would quit the job once he found a better position (or received the lottery disbursement?).

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You have asked an excellent question. I am afraid of giving a wrong or misleading answer. So I shall leave your question to

a more qualified person than I to answer.

haseli22

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi 5jj,
Would you please provide me with an answer to my question?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear Parser,
Can the following interpretation be correct regarding the use of past perfect in the above paragraph?
While simple past would work simply to narrate events, I suspect that the author chose the past perfect tense (normally used to describe an action begun/completed before another action) to suggest that the clerk job was temporary in nature, and that he would quit the job once he found a better position (or received the lottery disbursement?).

No, winning the lottery happened prior to his taking the job as a sales clerk.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear Parser,

No, there's no indication that it was temporary. His act of taking the job was completed before the year was up.

I'm making up the time table, but here it goes:
In January, he found out he was going to win a lot of money.
From February through October, he spent money like crazy. He gave it away. He bought many, many things.
In November, he realized he had spent (past before November) more money than he had won. He realized he owned money.
In December he took a job.
In January, he act of taking a job is in the past.
Now it's February: A year later (after his win), he had already taken a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.