Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which one is right

1) For business expansion thoughout foreign invesment, our top of mind agenda is improving infrastructure faciliteis.

2) For business expansion thoughout foreign invesment, our top of mind agenda is to improve infrastructure faciliteis.

Can you please help me which one is right ? I think 2nd is right because we have not yet started improving the infrastructure facilites.

My second question is - our top of mind agenda - It is looking odd to me. I dont know why ? what is the grammar behind it.

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: Which one is right

'Top of mind' is very odd indeed, and not any English that I know. Actually, there are several mistakes in both sentences, so perhaps I should just produce one correct one:

In order to expand our business through foreign investment, our first thought is to improve our infrastructure.

English Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Micawber
    'Top of mind' is very odd indeed, and not any English that I know. Actually, there are several mistakes in both sentences, so perhaps I should just produce one correct one:

In order to expand our business through foreign investment, our first thought is to improve our infrastructure.
    What about "improving"?

Our first priority is improving our infrastructure.

English Teacher

'Top of mind' is very odd indeed, and not any English that I know.

We could say it must be a new phrase, or it must be a new expression. I'll have to ask Jungmin about this.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...d+awareness%22

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22top+of+mind%22

http://193.133.140.102/JustTheWord/S...&cdb=thesaurus

http://www.answers.com/topic/mind-share?hl=top&hl=mind

Re: Top of mind

"Top of mind" is a goofy & weird-sounding "expression", imo. This is my first time hearing it, and hopefully the last.

English Teacher

Re: Top of mind

Quote Originally Posted by Hayseed
    "Top of mind" is a goofy & weird-sounding "expression", imo. This is my first time hearing it, and hopefully the last.

I think it's gonna be around for a long time.

By the way, I think "goofy" is a strange word. It sounds so ... well, it sounds so goofy.

Last edited by Steven D; 22-Nov-2005 at 00:08.

English Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by Rupali
    1) For business expansion thoughout foreign invesment, our top of mind agenda is improving infrastructure faciliteis.

2) For business expansion thoughout foreign invesment, our top of mind agenda is to improve infrastructure faciliteis.

Can you please help me which one is right ? I think 2nd is right because we have not yet started improving the infrastructure facilites.

My second question is - our top of mind agenda - It is looking odd to me. I dont know why ? what is the grammar behind it.

Thanks

Both sentences are correct.

The first sentences says what you're top of mind agenda is doing. It could also say what your top of mind agenda is.

The second sentence says, or explains, the purpose of your top of mind agenda. You could also say that it says what your top of mind agenda is.

In that case, I agree. Sentence number 2 is correct here.

I have to agree.

English Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    I have to agree.

Well, as the links would indicate, and they do, "top of mind" is something people now use.

I think I'm going to start developing a top of mind awareness. In fact, you can call me "T-O-M". That means Top of Mind.

So, you've had out of mind experiences. Now you can have a top of mind experience.

Sincerely,

Top of Mind

English Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    I have to agree.

So, you have no interest in top of mind awareness? No top of mind concerns to speak of?

Sincerely,

Top of Mind

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast