Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
1. When there are different answers for one question from friends on this website. Shall I finally follow the one from moderator?

2. Is my question correct in grammar?

Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1. When there are different answers for one question from friends on this website, shall I finally follow the one from a moderator?

2. Is my question correct in grammar?
No, it should be one sentence.
Thank you.
No, not necessarily. It depends who else has given an opinion. We all make mistakes, even moderators. Moderators are not chosen primarily on their ability to give right answers (although they usually do), but on their ability and willingness to moderate a channel.
Besides, moderators often disagree on a point, just as mere mortals do.
You have to use your own discretion and experience in deciding who to believe. If a moderator gives opinion A, which no one "likes", and someone else gives opinion B, which several native speakers "like", opinion B is more likely to be true.
But in that case, there is usually more discussion on the matter.
That is my opinion.

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When there are different answers for one question from friends on this website, should I finally follow the one from moderator?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Other moderators are fallible, but I am always right.

Except when I am wrong. ;-)

Seriously though, Raymott is right. One of the good things about this forum is that none of us claims that we have the absolutely correct answer. Indeed, be very suspicious of people who claim that they do. With several varieties of English: American, Australian, British (English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh), Canadian, New Zealand), to name but some of the main ones, and a range of contexts and registers, it is often very difficult to state that one answer is the only correct one possible. People who visit this forum regularly soon get to know members who generally give reliable answers. If one of those gives an answer which is 'liked' by several others known to be reliable, then you can be fairly sure that you can accept the answer as being sound.

If someone gives an incorrect answer (and even moderators do sometimes, as Raymott noted) the you can be sure that other people will soon chip in and set matters right.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Language is complex and not always black and white, and there are the differences in variant as well as in opinion, though generally there is broad agreement. I think the degree of difference should also be taken into account- many of the differences of usage or opinion are not very big. When one person says yes and the other no, then canvas other opinions and see if a consensus forms one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.